Laptop need

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Samtb, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

If you have a desktop and a tablet, do you need a laptop?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Depends on your needs. A tablet, like an iPad, can't fully replace a laptop. A MS Surface Pro may be able to though.

3. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

If I need to do productivity stuff on the go?

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It depends on your needs.

5. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

What do you mean? All I need is word or pages, maybe excel and PowerPoint on the go.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If that's your needs you could use an iPad easily.

7. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

An iPad has productivity apps such as Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Word, Excel, PowerPoint. You can even hook a keyboard up to it. However, if your going to be doing a lot of work on those apps or a lot of work your accustom to using on your desktop the iPad is not a good replacement. Its more of a tablet that has the ability to run the apps pretty well, but its still not a full OS experience so things will be harder to do and still somewhat limited.

But its really depending on what you are trying to do. What are you trying to do? Photos? Word? any kind of editing, if so what kind. The iPad can be a very good tool but so can a laptop. You just need to make sure you have the right one for the job.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You needed to be more specific. "productivity stuff" is too generic.

An iPad will do what you want just fine. A Bluetooth keyboard will make typing easier.

9. chipchen macrumors 6502

At the moment, mobile devices are optimal towards content consumption and laptops and desktops are more for content creation. However, things will continue to gradually shift (think of how far we've come with our phones and how much more we do on it now than just a few years ago).

So, I think it's really personal preference. For me, I cannot get away from not having my laptop with me even though I have a few iPads, etc. I know people though, that rarely touch their laptops/desktops anymore because they just find that there's almost nothing you can't do on the iPad.

Easiest way to find out? Try it... just try literally not using your computer for a week and see if the adjustment is manageable for you.

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

My needs are not your needs.

100% suggestive.