Laptop Owners and the iPad ... 'opposite effect'

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, May 24, 2010.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

For many the iPad has reduced or eliminated the need to carry their laptops.

But, what about us? The ones need their laptops and carry them always or often ... many of us love our iPads too. But, now we're carrying more weight and bulk instead of less :eek: That wasn't my hopes when reading about the iPad before it was released. I hoped to carry less, not more.

Why do I need to bring my iPad. First is battery life, second is convenience to absorb content, movies, read emails, the third is still 'wow' factor maybe. Do I "need" to bring it along? No.

In my recent travels I've noticed others with iPad in hand, and laptop along with them in their bag. The few I spoke to laughed when I mentioned it, we notice the extra weight, bulk, cables to carry, don't like it but so far many, including myself are doing it anyway.

Really, my 13" MBP with a battery that lasts me 6-8 hours, (up to 10 as Apple says), lots of power, larger screen, great physical keyboard why bring the iPad.

I wonder if the novelty will wear off, or if people will continue to carry both or eliminate one or the other. The iPad as it is now is limited to use for work ... whereas my 13" MBP can handle ALL my work and entertainment needs but instead I'm traveling loaded up with gadgets ... iPhone too.

2. andrew086 macrumors regular

you just answered your question? or are you asking why should you bring around an iPad? if it's the latter, the answer is you shouldn't... the iPad is supposed to be a more sleek device for people who don't need the extra power. I don't get the point of this thread.

3. vant macrumors 65816

Don't get it either. I have both but I never leave home with both.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The iPad serves a niche well, but doesn't replace the laptop for those who need one. That's why people still carry laptops around.

That said, there are cases where doing very basic stuff can be easily handled by an iPad, and you don't have to whip out the laptop to do waht you need to do.

Case in point: I don't have an iPad yet, but plan to get one because when I travel, an ipad would be useful on a plane. You used to be able to pull out a laptop and do things with it on a plane, but unless you're in First Class, that's just not really an option anymore. Airplane seats have been pushed too close to each other to make it practical anymore, and even if you manage to perch your laptop on that tiny seatback tray, it'll probably get crushed the moment the jerk in front of you decides to recline his seat.

An iPad on the other hand, is small enogh that it wouldn't be a problem.

That said, when I get to my destination, I still need a full computer to do things. I need a UNIX prompt; I need to be able to access files on hard drives, I need to edit videos and audio files, and I'd much prefer to make major edits to documents on a real keyboard and on a bigger screen. In the botel room I'm staying in or the office I'm visiting, that's where the laptop comes out and earns its keep.

As for the weight issue: the laptop isn't any heavier now than it was before the iPad was released. And the iPad's weight is easily offset by the bulky newspaper or book that I would no longer carry with me on the plane because the content is already on the iPad.

5. tim100 macrumors 65816

i use my ipad on the couch. 17 antiglare mbp everywhere else. ipad is great for surfing. i see you retired your mba. do u like your 13 pro as much.

6. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

my friends father said his main benefit for the ipad is to check his email at work, since he's not allowed to use company computers for any personal use.....or something like that. but yeah, ipad is good for the average stuff imo, but definitely no where near replacing a laptop. like the ipad commercial said "this is just the beginning" until then, full steam ahead to mbps!!!!!!!!! :apple:

7. farmermac macrumors 6502a

The reason I didn't buy one is because I didn't have an answer to your question; between iPhone and 13"mbp, why even use an ipad. The mbp is the perfectest size notebook ever.

8. Amasashi macrumors member

In my opinion, it's a little redundant to carry both a MacBook Pro and an iPad when you're on the go as both are portable devices. Take the MacBook Pro when you need a full computer; take the iPad when you just want to surf the web.

I can see people pairing up a MacBook Pro with an iPad for home use, but I personally wouldn't do it. iMac + iPad seems like a better combo.

9. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

All great points thanks.

To answer the first two questions/comments... why I carry both? In the car the ipad is the greatest GPS ever, love the big screen, also convenient to handle in the vehicle or stopped at a restaurant compared to a laptop ... once I arrive or get to my meeting the laptop is needed.

Same on the plane, use the ipad, save the MBP battery and enjoy the ipad convenience and size.

scaredpoet - Good points ... I'm complaining about carrying the extra weight of the ipad ... but I'm not carrying a newspaper, magazine, or GPS so it balances out.

Gotta say though my bag still feels heavier/thicker since I got my iPad :)

Suppose I could use the 13" MBP as a GPS in the car, 10 hour battery on the MBP will last through any flights ... so good point I don't really need to bring it, so far it's the fun factor I suppose :)

Tim100 - I miss my Air a lot but I do like the 13" MBP for it's keyboard, screen, power, HD size and it's not much thicker... My wife has the Air now and loves it.

I'm almost at the point where my 13" MBP could (sensibly) replace a lot of what I use, it's replaced my Air, iPad could go, and it could easily replace my 15" MBP. The only reason I have it is I really like the extra screen real estate and resolution, the 13" MBP is 'almost' as good. I work a lot in my Den with a notebook on my lap, often the 13" is my choice to use, so light and lot's of power for my needs....

10. underblu macrumors regular

The iPad does 2 fundamental tasks exceedingly well given its interface and size: email and web browsing.

I'm sure many folks use their laptops for those tasks 90% of the time so why not enjoy the portability and sleekness of the iPad.

Honestly for me I still prefer my MBP 17 for these tasks as well as all the other things it can handle which the iPad can't. I take it with me everywhere.

The only reason I would even consider an iPad is to prevent wear and tear on my new MBP 17. Other than that the iPad holds little appeal for me despite the fact that is is avery well designed device for those 2 tasks.

11. ReallyOldGuy macrumors regular

ReallyOldGuy

It's about use, I deal with a lot of documents and some minor editing and fill in the blanks on contracts...my MBA has stayed at home the last few weeks because after finding the right apps the iPad is filling in nicely. If Centrix goes home use you won't need a lap top at all.

12. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

Sold my iPad in favor of my 17" MBP. The iPad was just too frustrating with content incompatibility to be my 'travel' machine.

No Flash, strange formatting on websites, and an overall frustrating experience let to me being honest with myself about really preferring my MBP.

I have my iPhone for quick stuff...and my MBP for real stuff.

13. gordonyz macrumors member

I use iPad as an eReader, only. I don't get eye strains on iPad.

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I don't think I'll ever get an iPad. I don't see the point really... My 13" Macbook has everything I need, and I'll need a proper keyboard most of the time. Its also a very nice feeling having a laptop on your lap. Something that the iPad will never be able to replace:D

15. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Hold your horses now! I do love my 17" MBP - no point in discussing that. But...my 3G iPad is a different kind of animal altogether. I've been using it for the last 2 weeks or so, and here are my two main impressions: 1) it is very limited in what it can do, 2) it is amazing what it can do.

Yeah, I know.... The thing is, it is just a different type of device. I grab my iPad the first thing I wake up to check my email, read some news, and check the weather. And then I get up and go to my MBP to do some work. The really cool thing about my iPad is that it has a GPS and a 3G. So I go to town, check out Goby (in iTunes app store) to let me know what's going on where, and let my iPad take me to check out whatever I'm interested in. I just love that thing. ...And no, my MBP can't do that. :)

Kind Sir, you just have no clue. No disrespect intended. I was where you are a couple of weeks ago. I'm very happy I'm not there anymore.