laptop power

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacBH928, Nov 2, 2008.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Hello

I used to be up with latest bit of news around computers, but that is long gone. I still understand the better processor is the one with more GHZ, what is core2dou?

I always was the desktop guy. Big screen, lots of power, place to upgrade, nice storage, lasts longer, can take on anything. As I grew older I just stopped testing software and doing multiple formats(from the windows days) and getting the most I can from my computer.

It turned to my attention comments that macbooks(laptop) are the most selling macs. I always believe laptops are for people on the go, college student who just wants to run office, people who like to go to coffee shops and check their email doing light web browsing and using instant messaging.

Did things change? More and more I read online about professionals everywhere using macbooks as their main computer to run their heavy duty applications like final cut and photoshop.

Can laptops today be workhorse? No over heat, can stay for days on, screen doesnt start to look dull and starts to disfunction, run big applications(including games)... are they dependable?

I dont think any more I want to have a desktop station where I am on it doing all the work. I am more like now check msn, and do a quick search, but that requires long time of keeping the system on, including long time downloads, and i want to know that I will have the option of running big apps if I wanted to.

I am worried its not as dependable as a desktop.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

This is gonna be good... No. Gigahertz really doesn't mean much anymore. A 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo is around six to seven times faster than a 4GHz Pentium 4.

Yes. Laptops are replacing desktops as powerhouses. And not as dependable? Meh. They're more expensive to replace, part-wise, if something breaks, but other than that...

3. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

6-7 times faster than a 4GHZ pentium 4?
    god, i must be living in the dark ages.
    I am still running 800 mhz G4 imac from the year 2002

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

oh boy, you've got a lot of catching up to do. computers have changed much in 6 years. and yes, laptops are now powerhouses, and they can run for days and days non stop. i have the new aluminum macbook and overheating is definitely not an issue. it can run heavy applications just like a new imac.

5. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

So what is the advantage of a desktop now? Nothing?

and how much resolution can the new macbooks(not pro) put out?
    i am current using 1152x720 , i understand macbook has smaller screen though