Laptop primarily to take my online practice exams

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Alag28, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Alag28 macrumors 6502

so heres my dilemma

i can buy a $300 laptop and fulfill this with ease. HOWEVER i feel like im throwing away 300 because i know i will be doing more on it and window machines well for some reason they always manage to be weird, slow, unresponsive, and a pain in the rear after about 12 months of usage.

im going for my series 7/63 security licenses and i need the laptop to take the practice exams away from my home.

Pay premium off the rip and go mac? or windows based?

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Can I ask what you do with the rMBP in your sig?

3. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats the one i sold. I just didnt update it

4. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Asus X551. Easy to find for under $300, and fairly nice on build. The default touchpad settings are atrocious though, once you turn off all the stupid gestures it's a usual crappy trackpad.

That or a mac mini. Do you need portability?

5. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

portability is a must

6. kd5jos macrumors 6502

kd5jos

If this works...

If your practice tests are all done on line is there a reason an iPad (or iPad mini) with an additional ClamCase will not work? I have taken many security practice exams (Information Security) on mine and it worked wonderfully. My iPad mini retina (with LTE) and ClamCase is my office now. I teach from it, work on my Masters degree with it, make and answer calls from it (FaceTime audio or Skype and bluetooth headset), write papers...

It only weighs a pound and a half.

I've never been happier. Perfect size. Reliable. Lasts all day. Don't know what else I'd need.

And before anyone says it, I'm six foot tall and have LARGE german hands. I don't do 120 wpm on it, but I can do 70 wpm comfortably...