Laptop primarily to take my online practice exams

Alag28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2006
so heres my dilemma

i can buy a $300 laptop and fulfill this with ease. HOWEVER i feel like im throwing away 300 because i know i will be doing more on it and window machines well for some reason they always manage to be weird, slow, unresponsive, and a pain in the rear after about 12 months of usage.

im going for my series 7/63 security licenses and i need the laptop to take the practice exams away from my home.

Pay premium off the rip and go mac? or windows based?

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
so heres my dilemma

i can buy a $300 laptop and fulfill this with ease. HOWEVER i feel like im throwing away 300 because i know i will be doing more on it and window machines well for some reason they always manage to be weird, slow, unresponsive, and a pain in the rear after about 12 months of usage.

im going for my series 7/63 security licenses and i need the laptop to take the practice exams away from my home.

Pay premium off the rip and go mac? or windows based?
Can I ask what you do with the rMBP in your sig?

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Bay Area, Ca.
Asus X551. Easy to find for under $300, and fairly nice on build. The default touchpad settings are atrocious though, once you turn off all the stupid gestures it's a usual crappy trackpad.

That or a mac mini. Do you need portability?

Alag28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2006
Asus X551. Easy to find for under $300, and fairly nice on build. The default touchpad settings are atrocious though, once you turn off all the stupid gestures it's a usual crappy trackpad.

That or a mac mini. Do you need portability?
portability is a must

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
If this works...

portability is a must
If your practice tests are all done on line is there a reason an iPad (or iPad mini) with an additional ClamCase will not work? I have taken many security practice exams (Information Security) on mine and it worked wonderfully. My iPad mini retina (with LTE) and ClamCase is my office now. I teach from it, work on my Masters degree with it, make and answer calls from it (FaceTime audio or Skype and bluetooth headset), write papers...

It only weighs a pound and a half.

I've never been happier. Perfect size. Reliable. Lasts all day. Don't know what else I'd need.

And before anyone says it, I'm six foot tall and have LARGE german hands. I don't do 120 wpm on it, but I can do 70 wpm comfortably...