Laptop protection, keep those babies safe!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MightyBrutus, Feb 23, 2008.

1. MightyBrutus macrumors newbie

Hi, all.
    I'm new to both laptops, and macrumors in general.
    I will purchase a black macbook this weekend (YES!). Although I plan on getting applecare, what do you guys do to keep your macbooks safe and sound?
    Special cleaning routines, recommended cases, etc.

Go :apple:!

2. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Well I'm quit interested in this thread because I've ordered a Black Macbook too :)

Though I did'nt buy a applecare with it, because I have had a iBook for 2 years and never had a problem with it. So I'm not going to purchase those. But how to keep you BlackBook clean is a good question! :)

3. macuser80 macrumors newbie

Get a Moshi PalmGuard, iSkin ProTouch and Speck See Thru case and you'll be protected for years to come. :)

4. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I don't know about the Macbooks, but the Speck cases are nice - I've got two of them (red & clear) for my 15" MBP. They do a great job of protecting the MBP and are easy to remove when necessary.

MacDann

5. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

I've got all the things you've listed exept the speck-thru. But I'm a bit worried about the skin you put over the keyboard. Maybe it gets overheated. Do you take it off or leave it on?

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I bought a sleeve for transporting it in my backpack. Now I've got a backpack with a built-in holder, I have no need for the sleeve.

7. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

When I had my 14" iBook I used a RadTech "Sleevz" to cover it when I wasn't using it. it did a heck of job keeping that machine pristine, even though you had to take it in/out every time you used it.

The Speck cases eliminate the need for a sleeve, and allow you to carry the 'Book in just about anything (in my case, a Wegner notebook backpack) without worrying about exterior wear and tear.

Not to mention they have a lot of cool colors now. When I bought mine all they had was red and clear...

MacDann

8. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

To those who have the Speck case, does it make the laptop noticibly thicker? Does it make the unit feel weird?! I dunno what I'm trying to ask but sometimes when I put some plastic casing around my items it makes the item feel... thicker and heavier sometimes. Is it like that with the speck case?

-JoE

9. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

A little, I guess. It's only about a millimeter thick, so it adds about 2mm to the total thickness. It's not that noticeable, I think, but if you were also wanting to use a slip on case or sleeve on top of it (and I'm not sure why you would) it might not fit.

MacDann

10. murc585 macrumors regular

11. MightyBrutus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of the help.

Three and a half more questions:
    Are brenthaven cases REALLY as amazing as apple workers make them seem?
    Is there a specific kind of cleaning solution you use?
    Do you vacuum the keyboard? If yes, can you recommend a good keyboard vacuum?

12. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
  13. Glueeater macrumors regular