Laptop purchase at apple store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karebihun, Jun 25, 2009.

1. karebihun macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if you can upgrade say the hard disk of a base level macbook pro (13 inch i'm looking at) AT the apple store?

I guess to illustrate my point - I'm looking at the baseline 13 inch macbook pro and I wanted to upgrade the hard drive from the 160 gb - maybe the 300 or 500 gb hard drive. Because I'm only stopping by for a day I wanted to buy one on the spot (thus getting it at an apple store rather than buying it online).

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this

2. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

I asked before buying mine, and they said they only did RAM upgrades in-store, not hard drive. But when I posted that here, someone previously called me a liar, and said they did do hard drive upgrades. So, I don't know. I took the Genius' word and ordered BTO online.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Some Apple stores have higher spec models in stock. And if they don't, thy may be able to upgrade it for you on the spot. It all varies by the location though; I'd call the store and see what they have to say.

4. mike1123 macrumors 6502

You could also install a drive yourself... it doesn't void the warranty, given the fact that they give instructions on how to replace a drive in the user manual. I just bought a 320 GB WD Scorpio Black for my soon-to-be MBP so I know I'm getting the drive I want.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

This is the option to take if you want to save some money. From what I've heard, it's very straightforward and easy to do. :)

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Standard policy is that they only upgrade the RAM in-store.