Laptop Purses?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by splitpea, Apr 19, 2013.

1. splitpea, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013

splitpea macrumors 6502a

There are so many messenger bags and briefcases out there designed for laptops -- but what about purses?

Laptops are small and light enough to carry to and from work daily. Just as many women as men stare at screens all day. How come there aren't any bags out there with feminine styling and a dedicated laptop pocket?

As I plan to switch from a 15"cMBP to a 13" rMBP or Air, my 1998-era laptop bag -- designed for a 3-inch-thick 14" laptop and already way too roomy for the cMBP -- it's becoming clear that a new laptop bag is in order.

And, anticipating carrying this around to social situations and occasionally walking home alone late at night, I really want something that doesn't scream "I'm a woman carrying a briefcase/messenger bag because there's a laptop in here!"

Something bottomless like a "hobo bag" with enough space to also shove a sweater in there, and a small bottle of water, and an umbrella, and maybe a scarf, and a book, and a few little things like a phone and wallet and a pack of gum and whatnot would be ideal -- because this is the city, and without cars we walk around with our lives in our purses.

Yeah, you can drop a laptop in a sleeve and let it loose in your purse, but that doesn't protect it from shaking around or thoroughly separate it from other items that might spill or leak. Not to mention that it's awkward to always be fishing around your laptop to get other things in and out.

So far I've seen exactly one option, but it's pretty expensive (I'll link to it if anyone wants, but this isn't meant as a thread to advertise it.) Surely I'm not the only woman who wants a bag like this? Has anyone else run into any great women's bags with laptop pockets?

2. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

you could look at those designer baggs, Im not sure if they do have those hobo bags, but some may look stylish to you.

I would say that since I have been carrying a messenger bag without a clear separation, and thus using a sleeve, I have had no problems with that

I do advise if you something more protective a sleeve like the one from mach3 composites may be worth a look, used the one for the z12, great protection

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

4. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

What designer bags?

Yeah, a messenger bag tends to be better configured to keep something laptop-shaped stable without a dedicated pocket than most roomy purses.

Yeah, there are a lot of purses roughly that shape but my experience is that those don't accommodate all the extras (sweater, etc) very well. The question isn't so much where to go to find one, but just as in the sleeves discussion above, what have other people used that they liked!

5. Mr MM, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013

Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

http://www.kennethcole.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3075281

there was an italian firm and another canadian one that I really liked, both are leather and extremely expensive, since Im not a girl, and I like messenger bags, I have only searched that.

I will try to find it, see if you like something, they are always expensive btw

EDIT: italian http://www.hardgraft.com/
    http://www.pierotucci.com/bags/work_office/ this one i just found out they have some good messenger bags, didnt check for hobo style, unfortunately I do think the peruvian ones look just much better than the usual assortment of hobo bags

canadian http://www.onabags.com/

and I also love this sleeve http://www.mach3composites.com/carbon-fiber-case/carbon-fiber-macbook-pro.html
    they deliver top quality and durability, and since rain is so common where I live, and sometimes I forget the damned umbrella (it gets in the other bag and I love an umbrella that that I have for the past 5 years), it did protect the vaio z2 that I had from that and some actual shocks that happen in the day to day affairs

the real problem here is that hobo bags dont have the support to make that division happen from what I can see, may be miles and miles wrong on this regard, but have you tried to just sew something in? usually bags with dedicated notebook compartments are just a flimsy foam, you could get a 14'' sleeve cut it and sew it in the place that you want

6. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the links, swerve147 and Mr MM!

Yes, there might be some possibilities there.

I'm actually in love with this bag but was hoping to spend no more than 2/3 as much. There are also some options here, but it's not clear whether they have laptop pockets or are just big enough to fit laptops in sleeves.

I'm just a little stumped that only one or two places have really tried solving this problem.

7. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

ah well, last time I got a bag was in 2006, great leather one, and its still holding up. I consider that an investment. Much like that case, though I used it for less than 1 year since I sold the z2

all the women I know are fascinated by bags, and thus purchase more, I like to spend a little more on something that will hold me for several years, when eventually my bag breaks in a very nasty way, I will buy another, just sent it to be refurbished and it came back looking almost new, and it was cheap, 20 bucks

8. chilady1 macrumors member

chilady1

@splitpea - I know where you are coming from as I had a heck of a time finding the "right" bag. I wanted something feminine, professional and stylish that could be carried everyday. I travel a lot for work and I hate carrying a briefcase/laptop bag and purse. I ended up choosing the following bag from Knomo and couldn't be happier. The quality is outstanding and pictures don't do this bag justice.

By the way, I caught the bag on sale and didn't pay the $325.00 but paid $169 so keep a look out for when these bags go on sale.

I get a lot of compliments and truly love this bag. It fits my 13" MBP perfectly and leaves room for other items I need. Good Luck!

http://www.knomobags.com/usa/rubi-briefcase-leather-terracotta-full-grain-15-laptop-bag.html

9. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, I agree -- it makes so much more sense to just get one that will last me a long time, and that can be used in multiple contexts (the multiple contexts are part of why so many women like to have lots of bags, AFAICT). Personally I'm not the handbag-collecting type, which is why I really want one that's just right!

My last laptop bag (an older version of this one, and strongly recommended if you want something functional and indestructible without reference to appearance or form factor) made it through 15 years and is still in excellent condition, but it's very much a "This is a laptop bag!" sort of bag. Since I need to replace it anyway (since it's too big for the new lappy), it seems like the right time to get something more versatile.

What is the bag you have now?

----------

Thanks, chilady1! Do you find it has room to carry a bunch of other stuff without looking / feeling overfull?

10. chilady1 macrumors member

chilady1

@splitpea - YES! I carry a 13" MBP, files, small bag used for computer cords/chargers, my wallet, a Kindle, bottle of water, keys, iPod, iPhone, Blackberry, makeup bag.

Now, I have never tried to fit a sweater in the bag and to be honest, it is not that large, but overall, I find it just right to fit everything I need on a daily basis and when traveling.

P.S. It zips on the sides so if you have a day where you don't need to carry much, close the zippers. On days where you need to carry more items, you zip the zippers down and the bag expands.

11. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, cool. Can you still close the top zipper when the sides are open?

Edited to add: this one also looks like a candidate (especially for schlepping lots of stuff), although also expensive!

12. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

oh god that looks awful, gave one of those to my mother, its functional, not stylish and screams rob me please Im carrying a laptop

I use one very similar to this one
    http://www.kennethcole.com/product/...3075281&customNumOfProd=14&customNumOfProd=14

the shoulder strap is leather on mine though and a bit finer, aside that there are some more divisions on the outside, it looks really great with an english style suit, or with just jeans and plain shirt

I think I will change my opinion on women bags, some do really look nice, gotta give one better to the girl, that should solve it

13. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Found another one I like, which is a relief since the Alesya ones seem to be sold out at the moment. These are pretty cool because you can customize materials and such. On the downside, the laptop pocket isn't padded, which means a padded sleeve is probably required.

Someone also pointed me to purse organizers, which might make a giant-black-hole purse more usable and keep a laptop stable, but they seem to ruin the expandability of that sort of purse, so....