laptop recommendation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by burritolove, Mar 7, 2017.

1. burritolove macrumors member

so my current 2010 15" MBP is on the outs and its time for an upgrade. i dont use my laptop as heavily as i used to and the most tasking projects are photo management and editing (i used aperture in the past and will move to photos/lightroom). most of my pics come from a canon 5d2 so files are sizeable, again though, i spend very little time now a days editing more than a handful every now and then.

i have a ipad pro i use for most everything but my wife still insists on shopping and stuff like that on the laptop. apple family through the rest of the house, iphones, atv, etc.

i am looking at the macbook, mbp 13" with and without touchbar. should any of these fit my needs, should i wait for something in the pipleline?

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

3. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

I'd say both the 12" MB and 13" MBP should do fine. might want to get a higher storage tier option if you have a lot of data, but no other specs will need bumping by the sound of it. If portability isn't super important, I'd say the 13"MBP is better value for the money, both with respect to performance and things like speakers, screen, etc.

4. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

I mean.. do you need a hi res screen or could you get by with one similar to the one on your 2010?

I would probably buy a refurbished Air or older Pro and call it good.

5. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I think the rMB is a fine fit maybe not as good value spec wise as the MBP but utility wise everyone will want to use it around the house etc and my wife loves the footprint from a practical point of view

6. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

New MBPs aren't that much larger though

7. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Agreed on paper but reality and practically it's noticeable even to the point my wife just pops it (rMB) in her handbag not a travel case when flying.

Its a bit like you like the small or the big IPhone :)

8. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Fair enough - comes down to personal preference in the end.

9. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Not so much personal preference :) the MBP is probably a much more rounded laptop but given most over spec added with the extreme portability of the rMB it's often overlooked due to bang for you $

10. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Well, I mean personal preference in terms of what's important to you - the portability benefits of the MB or the more jack of all trades benefits of the MBP.