Laptop recycling program

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stagmeister, Jan 31, 2008.

1. stagmeister macrumors regular

I know that Apple has a recycling program for ipods where if you bring in your old ipod when you buy a new one they give you 10% off. Does apple have a similar deal with recycling old computers when you buy a new one?

Thanks
    Jason

2. livestrong2109, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

livestrong2109 macrumors newbie

I don't know about apple, but if you live in chicago I think these guys will recycly your laptop for free.

Chicago Laptop Recycling

3. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

4. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

www.gazelle.com

Depending on the age and condition of the notebook they may offer you monetary compensation as well. If not, they will recycle your notebook for free. They pay shipping, you just have to find a box. Check usually arrives 1-2 weeks later in the mail.

Sent them my 2G iPhone and 12" PB G4 and got about $350. Obviously not as high as if you were actually trying to sell used items, but if you're going to just get rid of something anyway...

5. webuser1176 macrumors newbie

I drove by Chicago laptop recycle's drop-off location and found out it was a small private home. Not sure I want to drop off my Macbook there.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

There are a lot of charities you can donate old laptops to which give them to poorer children needing them in an educational setting. If you do donate it though, you may want to rip the hard drive. Most times, any laptop changing owners through a company will have the HDD replaced by default anyway.

7. livestrong2109 macrumors newbie

I happen to own the location and it is indeed legit. It happens to be one of 5 locations we currently have established in Illinois. The laptops are all wiped in an external enclosure for a 32 pass wipe (DOD Spec is just 7). Believe me this is something you wont get from most places. Last year we received 347 Pc Laptops, 27 Macbooks / iBooks, and a number of desktop computers. If your looking to drop off your laptop and live in chicago then I highly recommend going with Chicago Laptop Recycling

I'll admit I was surprised to find this on Mac Rumors of all places I have this site on hourly reload... lol