Laptop Replacement Question:

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tacos!, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Tacos! macrumors member

Hi Guys,

Before I start I would like to give you a background of my previous repairs.

March 2008:
    - Superdrive Replaced (wouldn't burn anything)
    - Screen Replace (Bad yellow Tint... Really Bothersome!)

June 2008:
    -Superdrive Replaced (didn't read anything)
    -2.2ghz motherboard put in (I don't know why they replaced this?)
    - 1Gb of ram put in (They broke a chip in replacing it???)

June 2008:
    -Motherboard replacement (After I got it back previously, the screen stopped working, genius ASSURED me that it was a loose connection but if you plugged it into an external monitor it wouldn't work. He assured me if anything happened again that they would replace the laptop.)
    When I got the laptop back I noticed a dent in the case and they did not assemble the top part correctly and it now moves up and whenever you put you palms down VERY annoying.

Alright well I am not having problems reading disks again (tried PRAM reset, etc) and I am getting really fed up with this laptop. What are the chances of apple replacing my laptop? If they do, when should i time it so they give me a refurb of the newer style laptops?

Oh and just to get you a hint, my family has purchased before:

Powerbook G4
    Mac Mini (1.5Ghz)
    Ipod 3G 20GB
    Ipod Mini
    Ipod nano 4GB
    Ipod nano 8GB
    2 iMac's
    My Macbook Pro (2.2Ghz SR)

I also showed it off to the IT department in my school and they were so impressed they bought 3 MBPs and 12 brand spankin new Imacs for the IT Lab. I have also had a friend who bought one because he was so impressed with mine.

As you can see, I am a loyal apple customer, I am just getting paranoid at the fact that my laptop is not working and I paid a premium price for it.
    Thanks,
    Justin

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

You go to a store in person, book an appointment, ask for a replacement. Ask to speak to a manager and be polite, and put them "in your shoes".

They have all these clearance laptops from the last gen, they should be able to replace it. Make sure you backup all your files.

Good luck, I really hope they replace it for you.

Also, have you considered calling your credit card to see if they offer any protection against lemons?

3. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I had a similar experience and was given a replacement under the "Care Program". It sounds like you are a good candidate for a replacement. I found that if I acted pleasant and professional, I would get best resolution for my problem. As a result, I walked out of the Apple Store yesterday with the new MBP.

Good luck,
    TC

4. Tacos! thread starter macrumors member

What were the problems with your macbook?

Thanks,
    Justin

5. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Yeah, You tell them you fed up! You love apple but the computer has to many problems and would like new macbook pro or atleast a refurbished one

6. fongyuen macrumors 6502

wow, after all that, i think it shouldn't be a problem to get a replacement. this is my story
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=580000

and i don't think it's nearly as severe as yours and i'm awaiting my new 17" replacement! should be here next wk :)

7. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Tacos!, I had multiple procedures on the logic board and the staff did not handle the issues in a timely manner. I had to tell the Manager about my employment history and they understood my perspective of customer service. I also had the usual blown clutch problem with my Wallstreet PB and a current Apple VP replaced a desktop unit that I signed a NDA, so I can't get into the circumstances. I have had problems with three out of five Apple machines and they have stepped up on all but the Wallstreet. Needless to say, I liked my PB 1.33 and used it daily for 3.5 years. I hope they do the same for you.

8. Tacos! thread starter macrumors member

Hi Guys,
    I went to the Apple Store in New Hampshire today to see if they would fix my problems on my laptop. I explained to them how my battery swelled up and how I was having Motherboard/Display problems. The guy said he would be right back and he comes back with a brand new SEALED Macbook Pro. He told me I could buy either transfer my warranty or buy another 3 year warranty and it would basically be a brand new computer! So I am very, very pleased with apple!

-Justin

9. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Congratulations, it's never easy to go through the process of repairs, damage and then explaining the issues multiple times to different Apple reps. But when the system works it's a beautiful thing. Enjoy the new machine.