Laptop Running Tiger?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TheZimm, Nov 29, 2008.

1. TheZimm macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

So, I could maybe get a hand-me-down laptop, and it'd be running tiger. Would it be worth it. I'm used to a desktop running leopard. What would be the downside of going to the laptop? If I get it, should I upgrade it to Leopard?

Zym

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What are the laptop's specs?' Tiger itself is just dandy, but your notebook would probably be a lot slower than your desktop, I'm guessing.

3. TheZimm thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

I'm pretty sure this is the exact laptop. It's the biggest macbook pro that used to be out there. NOTE: it's the old line of macbook pro. I've never worried about GHZ or any of that, so what's the difference. I saw the laptop was 2.4 but the exact desktop I have is 2.8?

Happy Holidays

Zym

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, wow, well, that's quite the hand-me-down. It'll run Leopard just fine.

5. TheZimm thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

Yeah, it's not really that old. Just the older line of macbook pros. I'm pretty sure this is it. When leopard was announced, was a new line of notebooks announced? If not, then it's just one line of notebooks old.

Also, should I upgrade to leopard for 100 some dollars?

Zym

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If it's a 17" MBP with a 2.4GHz processor, it's this one (two revisions before the unibody ones):

http://apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=mbp_mid_07&performa=off&sort=family&order=ASC&range=

If it's a 15" MBP with 2.4GHz, it could also be this one (last revision before the Unibody ones):

http://apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=mbp_early_08&performa=off&sort=date&order=ASC&range=

Anyway, regarding Leopard... would you use Time Machine on it? How much do you use Spaces or Stacks or other Leopard features? If the answer is a stream of "not much," then you might be fine with Tiger. And $100 could be used for other entertaining things.

Alternatively Leopard gives you the same OS on both so you can use all apps in the same version.

7. TheZimm thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

It is definitely the 17 inch.

I really love spaces, nothing else though. Will itunes and everything else thats built in work the same?

Zym

8. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

All the apps will work the same (so as long as they're the same version, which the latest version of iTunes supports Tiger). I myself just downgraded my iMac from Leopard to Tiger (originally shipped with Tiger) and am loving it. You might from time to time miss some features like Quick View but that's all I ever really miss from Leopard, the performance increases are well worth it IMO.

9. TheZimm thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

hmm, will it take a lot to transfer ove all my stuff from my big mac to the notebook?

Zym