Laptop screen on TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stang68, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Hey guys,

I thought i would ask you guys this bc you seem to know everything (not being sarcastic). How would i go about hooking my SR MBP to the television? I want to be able to watch movies and such on it, but also see the desktop, browswer, etc.

Apple has a connector, but i wanted to see if u use anything else.

Thanks a lot!

2. mkgm1 macrumors regular

It depends on your TV. Can you let us know what make/model it is? Or at least what kind of ports it has?

This is a slightly blurry guide to various ports you can get. Do you recognize any?

3. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I was wondering the exact same thing. The tv that I have is a regular 32" sony wega SDTV...I think it's just a/v inputs and of course the cable stuff...is there a simple way to do it?

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

This would work really well for you. It's what I use to connect my TV. (If you TV has an S-video connector that is)

Also, you'll have to find a way to hook the laptop up to the TV's sound system.

5. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

that cable is what you need if your TV only has composite (red-white-yellow) or S-Video inputs. It works really well for movies, but it doesn't give enough detail to let you use the TV as a monitor to surf the internet and stuff.

6. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

my tv is a regular SDTV with the A/V yellow red and white cables.

7. motherduce macrumors 6502

Just get the mini-dvi to rca/s-video adapter - $19. Then get either a portable speaker system or a 8mm-RCA audio adapter. I did it with my macbook for watching the tv shows on the network websites - worked great!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=17887CE1&nplm=M9319G/A

MBP might use a different cable - does it use full dvi?

edit: here's the one for the mbp: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=16193109&nplm=M9267G/A

8. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

I was wondering the same thing, only I have a 34" Sony CRT HDTV. Is there any way to get higher resolution output, through component video or HDMI?

I'd also prefer something that works with BootCamp, since I plan on using it to play Windows games.

9. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

when you hook up your laptop to you tv, you can use a higher resolution i you want (you can do it in the display prefs) but this will affect also the result on your laptop screen and things might look quite small on the tv set.

10. MaddieBrad macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

Wouldn't it be sweet if MacBook Pros came with an HDMI output at some point? Audio and video in one! YAY!

I cannot foresee that happening anytime soon.

B