Laptop Stand: Logitech Alto or mStand?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Adokimus, Dec 21, 2007.

?

Recommended MBP Stand

1. Logitech Alto Express

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. raindesign's mStand

18 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Other (please leave suggestion in comment)

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Question is pretty simple, I'm looking into a laptop stand and would like specific feedback on the Logitech Alto Express and raindesign's mStand. If anyone can comment on looks (especially in person), build quality, usefulness for cooling a MBP, etc., it would be really helpful.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=product&tab=1&id=1188561070859#productdetail

http://www.raindesigninc.com/mstand.html

Thanks, and I'll take any other suggestions (except the griffin elevator ;)) if people have better ideas.

-Ado

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

mStand.

The Logitech stand can't have anything underneath and has no cord management.

The mStand has a lip to keep your laptop from falling.

Don't get one without a lip (such as icurve), because the rubber can get dirty and lose traction which will result in laptop dropping from the stand.

Here is a review
    http://macenstein.com/default/archives/966

3. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

mStand is perfect! I have no complaints at all:cool:

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

5. Bambeezer macrumors regular

The mStand is on sale now too! I just ordered one today.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I voted for "other."

I really like my Griffin Elevator. It provides better airflow underneath than the mStand, so if that matters to you (and with the way macbooks and mbps are, it should!) consider that. Plus, the Griffin is a tad cheaper than the mStand.

Other than that, I also feel like the angle of the Elevator is more appropriate. Then again, that's just me. Maybe you should try to see both in person. :)

7. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Another option (way Cheaper!)

I know this is not cool, however, I just keep a couple of bottle caps (coke, pepsi, it's just the same, as long as you use a pair of similar bottle caps) near my MacBook always, and use them below the back feet of the computer.

They are easy to transport and acomplish their work (keep the air running below the macbook) with ease and work perfectly.

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Wouldn't the plastic bottle caps scratch up the bottom after a while?

Also, would they provide enough height? My Elevator raises the level of my mbp by a good 5+ inches, which makes it perfect for eye-level. :cool:

9. Tom J macrumors regular

10. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

11. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

They won't scratch the bottom of your mac IF you use the open side of the bottle cap downwards. Besides, you put them below the feet of the computer, not on the computer itself.

And about the height, you are right, the bottle caps are just to augment the airflow, not to elevate the screen to eye level. I use my portable computer (MacBook) as a portable, therefore, I do not use it with an external keyboard. Then, in order to be able to type on it comfortably, I need it ON the table, not higher, but that's just me. If some one use the Laptop as a Desktop, they won't be comfortable with this.

:eek:

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

So you use the bottle caps when on the move? Wow. I just let my mbp sit on my lap or on a desk/table. I don't really care about being too picky in those situations, because I know I'm not going to win the "comfort" battle in most places.

13. sublicon macrumors member

I'm personally a fan of the Griffin Elevator. It does the trick, and its aesthetically pleasing. Just don't put a TV on it.

The Mstand looks dope tho.

14. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Griffin Elevator FTW everytime.

I use a mac mini for video security and it fits nice and snug underneath the elevator.

15. tikitommy macrumors regular

I got the Alto right after Thanksgiving because best buy had them on sale for $12. I love it. I use it with my Macbook. The tilt angle of the keyboard is much better. Closer to you without having to lift your hands far off the table. The indent is better for cooling, as its much deeper and towards the back rather than just one small hole.

If you're using the stand to plug in a seperate keyboard, then I wouldn't recommend it. But if youre looking to use a simple stand to raise the screen a little that's still comfortable, then the Alto rocks.

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

woo! mStand

Just got my mStand. It's pretty nice with keyboard. It's sitting on 3" of things and the top of the screen is about my eye level.

No problem with screen angle with MBP Santa Rosa 17". Screen is perpendicular to desk and screen can actually go back a few more degrees.
    (Some say their screen slides, but if your screen slides, you should have it tighten via Apple care, etc. No problem here).