Laptop stand that "cools"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raymondu999, Jun 4, 2008.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Hi there. I searched the forums for this, but it seems that they're mostly just on laptop stands, and I couldn't find any threads specifically on "cooling" stands.

I want to buy a laptop stand that can actually cool my MacBook Pro. Not just a stand that raises it so that there's better airflow underneath the machine, but one that actually cools, either actively by a fan, or passively by a heatsink. Any suggestions? Oh, and if the non-cooling stand looks good, I don't mind, either:D

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

google "laptop cooling pad" and im sure ull find what ur looking for. I personally have no suggestions.

3. Cubs macrumors newbie

4. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Do all of them run off USB power, or are there selections that can run off wall outlets?

5. asme macrumors regular

The Coolmax 15.4 inch one is very good for the MBP, except if you constantly use the CD drive, in which case it obstructs it.

6. Cubs macrumors newbie

I think all of them are actually wall outlet only.

7. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

8. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

They are usually pretty gimmicky - if you just raise your laptop, that will be plenty of additional airflow / cooling, considering that it is supposed to run on a desk.

9. aye5882 macrumors member

10. operator207 macrumors 6502

I personally use FanControl.

I like the fact you can have it increment the fan speed as the temp goes up, instead of having to manually increase the fan speed like SMCFanControl.

Another nice feature, is if your not doing anything intensive, the fans are not whirring away.

I guess its personal opinion. Thought I would throw my 2 cents out there.

11. elmz macrumors regular

I agree, smcfancontrol2 is a must have. But if you are a gamer, there is a huge difference in temperature from just browsing the internet or even watching a DVD. My MBP gets really hot during gaming, and I find it helps to sit it on top of a big hard back book allowing the rear to hang off the book about an inch. This allows the hot air to flow out with no obstruction.

12. chew63 macrumors member

"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz Penryn|500GB|4GB RAM
    iMac 3.06GHz|4GB RAM|1TB|nVidia 8800GS
    MB Air 64GB SSD, 1.8GHz
    iPhone 16GB 1.1.4"

I just want to know what you have against Mac Pro's!

oh and get the Griffin stand and SMC Fan Control

13. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

@chew: Lol... Well I'm not really a fan of it. It's just that well... I prefer the iMac. I prefer all-in-ones, and I am SURE that if I bought a top-spec fully maxed out Mac Pro, I wouldn't be able to use all the bangs and whistles, unlike what I already have.

14. lezzafeatures macrumors newbie

or... you could try the ultra cheap option I use, a hot water bottle filled with cold water, works a treat!;)

15. BenHoleton macrumors regular

cooling stand

I personally use the Rain Design m-Stand. Raises my MBP and has completely quieted the fans, through heatsinking. Works incredibly well, and looks fantastic

16. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Wow. A water cooled laptop.:) You're five years ahead of the competition:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7439406.stm

You've patented your 'invention', right? :)

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yay. Now we can spill water on the computer and say one of the cooling pipes leaked!

18. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I for one am using my Akasa Alu-Notebook cooler. It has two small quiet fans and runs off the USB, (has a pass through USB on the rear so I can still plug my iPod in)

I paid £25 for this one and it does a great job keeping my MBA <70 even when running a full TC backup :)

Quite comfy on my lap also and fits the Air almost perfectly :)

19. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

This is what I use.:p

Attached Files:

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

They all use cheap, small fans, which most Mac users will find too noisy (but PC users are used to the noise). But typically the fans don't do much except to make noise and push a little bit of air.

I use mStand. No fans, looks great.

I thought about getting some low RPM, low noise fans for active cooling but not sure how to have it set up to match the good look of MBP and mStand.

21. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I like to lay papers on my mbp keyboard while i'm working. The mStand looks like it would tilt the keyboard too much to allow me to do this. Can you tell me if this would be the case?

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Paper will slide off unless you use the keys to hold them.

I use it with an external keyboard (and sometimes the internal keyboard).

23. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Thank you. That helps me in my decision.:)

24. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

The blood running through your thighs does the same thing as using a water bottle and it's much less of a hassle!

Simply put the running laptop across your legs and your own body's circulatory system will help dissipate the heat by transferring the heat through your jeans and skin into your blood, which your heart pumps away from the area, cooling as it moves through the rest of your body. The heat is then dissipated by the body through your head, armpits, or scrotum area.

Works great! You should give it a try.