Laptop Suggestions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Burch, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Burch macrumors member

Hey guys, I am looking into buying a new laptop. I sold a lot of things including my Mid 2011 MacBook Air, and I have accumulated around $1600. The problem is, I don't know which model I should go with. I watch a lot of Netflix, YouTube, and surf the web for long periods of time. I play minor games (LoL, Minecraft, and others), do school work, and other things like that. I was thinking of getting the $1500 rMBP 13 inch, but what do you guys recommend me doing?

2. kathyricks macrumors 6502

The 8/256 13" model is $1269 at the apple refubished store (currently unavailable but will be available within days) http://www.refurb.me/us/browse/

Brand new it runs about $1499 at the Apple store or around $1300 -$1400 on ebay. It's part number ME865LL/A

If you want a 15" 8/256 it's $1699 in the refurb store and $1700-1800 on ebay model ME293LL/A. The 15" is a slightly faster computer than the 13" ME865LL/A.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd get the mid level rMBP as stated, its right at your price point new, and cheaper in the refurb store if you wish to go that route.

You get 8GB of ram and 256GB of storage, both will set you up for the future and the retina screen is gorgeous

4. Nionell macrumors newbie

rMBP

I went with the 8/256 rMBP and I absolutely love it. I probably don't use 90% of its potential most of the time but I know that when I ask it to do something it can.

If it is now available in the refurb store then that is even more of a positive. I know the Air is lighter and very slightly cheaper but the footprint and weight of the retina are both tiny and I have never wished for it to be any lighter.

5. NocturnalJazz macrumors regular

To follow in line with MacRumors Rules:

Yes, I would also recommend this laptop. It is a great device. I think an Air would be great for you, but this machine will give you a smaller footprint with a higher res display. It looks like you would like to and are willing to treat yourself to something nice. I say go for it. You won't be disappointed.

6. accountforit macrumors 6502a

I say save a few hundred more and buy a refurb 15" (1,699). Faster processor and bigger display.

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

As a student, you should qualify for the education discount! It bring the 13" 8/256 to $1399 and lowers the fee for AppleCare as well. I'd highly recommend that model because it's one of the better machines you can buy for a good price and is excellent for students. I bought one back in October and have been very happy. I don't game at all, but I'm sure it would be fine for that. Netflix looks good, and it does really well with web browsing.

8. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

13" rMBP is the way to go! 16GB Ram is available in that model, highly recommended if you want to future proof your machine for a couple of years since Ram is soldered and not upgradeable. (Here goes another 8GB vs. 16GB debate :D)

9. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Does it have to be a Mac?

I have the following recommendations:

• 13-inch retina MacBook Pro with a 2.4 GHz processor, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD (US$ 1,469 at Amazon.com)
    • 13-inch Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus with a 1.6 GHz processor, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD (US$ 1,612 at Amazon.com)
    • 13-inch Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 2 Pro with a 1.8 GHz processor, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD (US$ 1,199 at Best Buy)
    • 13-inch Asus Zenbook UX301LA (Infinity) with a 1.6 GHz processor, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD (US$ 1,674 at Amazon.com)

They are all high-end laptops and I think you wouldn't go wrong with any of them. It all depends on what you want. If you want a Mac, then the choice is pretty obvious. Otherwise, you have more options to choose from.