Laptop swapping... Should I?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sikkinixx, Apr 2, 2009.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Alright, I need some advice.

I wanna get a new mac, I was likely gonna go with a refurb 2ghz unibody macbook. Total is ~$1350 after taxes etc (canadian bucks).

I am gonna sell my current laptop (hackintosh MSI Wind) for about $300 or so to my uncle. However, today he proposed this.

I trade him my little guy for his 2.2ghz macbook pro (128mb 8600gt, 120gb hdd, 2gb ram etc), which I originally sold to him about 16 months ago, and I throw in ~$1000 to level it out.

I dunno if it's a good deal. The macbook pro is on applecare till July 2010, the logic board was replaced about 6 months ago and the battery was replaced about a month ago (he got lucky, it has 150 cycles but they said it was defective for some reason and he got a brand new one). I know it's in really good shape. But.... I dunno if $1000 is too much.

If he were to buy my MSi for $300, which he wants to, then a refurb macbook is about the same amount of cash out of my pocket ($1000). The new macbook is sexier (imho) faster ram, same size hdd, the graphics card isn't dedicated but I'm guessing the new 9400m, which takes 512mb of ram in bootcamp for gaming, is about as fast if not faster than a 128mb 8600gt.

But the extra screen size and quality is a plus over a macbook....Argh!~~~~

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If you originally had them computer and it's already been sixteen months AFTER you gave it away, I say $1000 is too much to give to him. You should come up with a better deal, and then sell the MBP on craigslist, and use the money towards a MacBook. :D

3. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

well I think I only had it for like 6 months before i sold it to him... I wanted a gaming PC and the original eee pc.

But yeah... ideally I think $800 or so would be better for me (then I could buy the new SLR I want) but I don't wanna soak him... he's my uncle after all. Bah...

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Do you want a computer or a camera? You need to get your priorities straight first ;)

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

See what that model is selling for on ebay or craigslist, and deduct the agreed upon price of the hackbook air from it. As for the eternal older MBP vs. uni MB debate, search the forums if you haven't done so already.

And, doing business with relatives almost always leads to awkward Thanksgivings...

6. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Thanks for the opinions.

I am gonna ask if maybe I could get him a new mac mini + extra ram for it (student discount and such) to level it out. That way he has a machine to surf/email with and a more capable machine to do whatever else with. Saves me a bit of money and hopefully works for him. If not, refurb macbook for me :)