laptop to lcd tv display issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by truz, Feb 9, 2010.

1. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

I have a sharp 1080p TV and I'm using dvi to hdmi to hook up the laptop and tv. I done this once before with Tiger or Leopard and it allowed me to mirror the display and use the TV with a high res. The laptop use to scroll from corner to corner because the screen res was to large for the laptop. However now I can't get this to work any higher then the laptops support res 1440x900..

Any idea how to fix this so I can use the 1080p screen res with the mirror?

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Does it have to be mirrored?

If you don't mirror then you should be able to set the TV to any display resolution that the graphics card will handle.

3. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

truz

Yes I would like it to mirror as I don't want to use the macbook pro display. I would like to use an external keyboard, mouse and screen when I'm at my office.

I want the external screen to be the primary display.

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

If you're using it with an external mouse and keyboard, you don't need to mess with mirroring settings at all. Just close the laptop, hook up the external monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and wake it up with the external keyboard.

The MacOS should automatically kick into "external display" mode, and use the TV as the primary (and only) display.

The alternative, if you wanted to leave the computer open, is to drag the menu bar (in the display config pref pane) to the larger monitor; that will set it as the primary monitor. Not sure if it's even possible to mirror at a higher resolution than the minimum of the two displays you're trying to mirror.