Laptop vs Desktop for a High-Schooler?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bluedoggiant, Mar 31, 2008.

?

What should I do?

1. stick with the imac

23 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. get a macbook

21 vote(s)
    38.9%
  3. replace the imac with a macbook pro when nehalem comes out

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

So I'm freshman in High school, and I have the iMac in my sig as my only computer (500gb HD), the mbp and mb are mom and dad's.

Now, I'm getting a feeling, as a student, I should have gotten a laptop and I heard students are better off with them.

So I am thinking about waiting till nehalem comes out and I get a MacBook Pro
    ––
    OR
    ––

Get a MacBook to go along with my iMac, but which would be a better deal? replace the imac with a macbook pro, get a macbook, or just keep my imac. When I use my iMac, i'm very happy, when i use the kitchen macbook, im like, "i can use this wherever", but im afraid if i get a laptop it will stay on my desk.

I'm also not sure if its a good idea to get one machine for all my goods rather than two, there are some pros and cons of each thing, but idk.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: MBA is not an option, and a laptop for using wherever in the house, thats why i'm asking, and I do take the family MB to school on certain days.

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

you dont use laptops in High school...at least not that ive ever seen

stick with your imac, its a great machine

3. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Seconded. There's little reason to want a laptop in high school.

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

all you punks with laptops in middle and high school suck i didnt get my first laptop until i GRADUATED:D

5. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Get the MacBook.

Even if you're in HS, you'll enjoy the portability and not be tied to a wall with a cord. Games may be iffy at times as far as performance goes, but other than that it is great.

My suggestion- Get the low-end macbook and buy the biggest HD and 4GB of RAM off NewEgg.

Also, get an external monitor so when you come home/get back to your desk, you just plug in and have a big monitor like an iMac.

I'm going to be a Freshman... that's just my 2cents though.

6. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

Most high schools don't even allow laptops in school during school hours...
    Anyway, unless you wanna ruin your high school career (socially) by ripping out the laptop in the middle of the day, stick with the desktop.

7. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Your position seems to be geared more towards personal preference. I have a laptop (MacBook Pro) and I use it mostly at my desk, but I like the option of taking it downstairs onto the couch, or to school (at my high school we're allowed to have laptops). It's really nice to have that flexibility. Though IMO the ideal solution is both, if you can afford it. If you end up going with just the laptop, go for the Pro, it's quite a nice machine, and it's worth it if you can afford it.

My point is, it seems like your only factors are what you think will work better for you, and what you can afford.

Hope this helps.

8. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

the macbook as my only computer is not an option, that is way downgrading, and i use my imacs power for a reason, video stuff, large HD for movies and music, and a moderately paced growing photo library, i can get that in addition, and agree with getting the lowest end MB as an ADDITION, but keeping the RAM at 2gb (no need for 4gb), and hd is fine at 120gb, i won't be storing anything on it but a couple documents to transfer home onto my imac and music.

err, no, not really, we are required, for LA class, we type on the computers.

exactly, taking it down onto the couch. or on the bed, i would most likely be saving up for a monitor for it.

9. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

The only reason for high-school students to have laptops is..... wait... there is none.

Laptops + high school students = texting/chatting/surfing and not studying.

High school grades suffer = epic fail.

10. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I have a laptop and I am a high school student. I have reasons behind the choice though.

I am in a band and I record a lot and I bring my MBP to do recording and mixing. I also have multiple houses, so having a laptop of a must and I just would rather use laptops.

11. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

ughh, how many times am i going to say this, i use it to type in LA class, the teacher requires it. but at home, chatting and surfing is my goal:D

12. arsenalGUNNER macrumors newbie

arsenalGUNNER

Thats not true. I am a Junior in high school and I have 8 classes and out of those 8 classes I use my MacBook for 6 of them, including AP US History, Sports Medicine, AP Spanish, English, AVID, and more. It is very helpful.

13. FreeFlight macrumors newbie

I'm a junior in high school, and i own a MBP. Having the laptop versus a desktop is greatly advantageous. Being that I'm in three AP classes, I often find myself having to type papers up almost every night. Having the laptop allows me to take my computer wherever I go in case I don't have time to sit at a desk at home typing. Also, over spring break I had to write a ten page paper. I was able to take my computer with me and work on our college visit trip, without having to worry about cramming all the work in the night before school resumed.

Along with school work, the laptop works great for the small recording studio I run. I'm able to take it with me if i have to do some on-site recording, which occurred recently for a church band.

Finally, I don't text on my computer; that's what my cell phone is for. Neither do I "chat".. that ended around middle school. As far as surfing goes, I research when I need to research, and I get on mac rumors when I have some leisure time :D

So in my opinion, go for the MBP! Just my 2 cents :)

14. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

So... What have you been using in LA class so far? I'm assuming that you're in the US, which means the school year is winding down. How have you gotten this far? Unless you go to a private school, I have never heard of a public school requiring a laptop.

It sounds to me that you're just looking for any reason to get a laptop. You say you want to transfer documents (I'm assuming from school?) onto your iMac. You are aware that you can set up a g-mail account and e-mail yourself any documents you worked at at school. Before you say that it's easier to transfer documents between your laptop and desktop (and how often are you expecting to do this anyway?) it takes all of 10 seconds to go into your gmail account and download the document.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I have a laptop as a junior, it helps, but its not a necessity...it might be one of those, if its not broken dont fix it things

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I thought this was true for college students as they can carry it around campus... but high school.. are you even allowed to bring your laptop to class? I remember when I was in high school I've never seen anyone carry a laptop around, I think 1 kid did but he needed it because he was deaf..

17. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I voted for the Macbook. While in terms of bang-for-your-buck as a High School student, the iMac is definitely a better choice, since I got my Macbook, things are just so much easier. I'm still in High School, and sure, it's not needed, but if you can afford it, go ahead. I bought my macbook with my work money, and I can't imagine being without it now..However, if I understand your situation, you already have the iMac. So if that's the case, I'd say just use the iMac. Unless of course you feel you really need the Macbook, just keep the computer you have :) Good luck with your decision, either way.

18. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

private school, its a teacher thing, only that teacher allows it, one kid brought in the laptop into science class and it got snatched, so its only allowed for LA class

i have gmail, but when i get home i transfer using finder, i plan on getting .mac, but i set up the applescript for ichat so i can use my imac from school

the computer im using? a MacBook, family computer, i just feel i need my own thing cuz its kinda my moms, and i'd really like to surf and do little stuff on it in bed, and take it around the house, vacation maybe, when i goto my apartment in egypt, i go for a month, a notebook would be nice, and if needed, like im going over to a friend's house, and we wanna do something computer related, i have it right there. So seems the macbook looks like the better choice, but im not sure if its worth the money for JUST THAT and i may use it over my imac that a macbook pro would have to be an option, and im not so fond of that. like using a macbook pro for the stuff i mentioned, it could get damaged, macbook seems more durable.

19. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Go for the macbook, thats what i have. I like it because i have portability, if needed, i can take it into class for a presentation, writing a research paper, or simply taking it over to a friends house.
    Mine stays on my desk like 30% of the time, i know that i would hate having to be grounded to the desk all the time due to lack of portability.
    If screen space is an issue, get a external monitor.

btw, i am 15 and class of 2011!!!

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

You just explained why a mb will do you good.. and honestly I think you should go for it and get the mb.

21. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

haha, i think its your setup post that really triggered me to start this thread, cuz u said you were 15 (same age), and had a macbook so yeah

yes, ive been watching tons of youtube videos about it, i think im better off with a low specced mb, the mba would be nice, the price is not in my reach.

my worry is the fact i may use the mb over the imac:eek:

and all of this is making me think of a 12" PB

22. Freyqq macrumors 68040

stick with what you have...you don't really need portability in HS

23. comptr macrumors 65816

where have you been when I was in high school I always took a laptop. this was way over a few years ago. also most of my buddies brought laptops too.

24. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I graduated in 2001, but all my high school years I've only seen a couple people with laptops.. and everyone else with just paper and pen. I guess things changes ALOT, I'm getting old..:(

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The MB is a very powerful computer. Also since it's high school, it doesn't play games very well which is a plus. Keeps you focused.