Laptop won't detect battery's charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by throttle, Mar 11, 2013.

1. throttle macrumors newbie

Mornin' everyone,

I bought a new battery for my macbook pro in January since the old one wasn't holding a charge anymore, and it had been working great up until yesterday where it now won't charge and the laptop refuses to run off the battery.

Pressing the button still shows that the battery has a charge, however if you unplug the computer it will shut off, and in the tool bar it says (Not Charging) and Condition: Replace Now

As said, the battery is only about 2 months old with 47 cycles on it. From the system profiler...

Battery Information:

Model Information:
    Device name: ASMB012
    Pack Lot Code: 0000
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: a41b
    Hardware Revision: 0000
    Cell Revision: 0000
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 0
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 0
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 47
    Condition: Replace Now
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -3
    Voltage (mV): 11221

Since my wifi card seems to have randomly died yesterday and this is a pretty new battery, I'm wondering if all the hardware on my computer is messed up and it just is having a problem communicating with the battery, or is the battery actually dead?
    Thanks!

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

3. simsaladimbamba

What exact MacBook Pro do you have?

To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:
    [​IMG]
    To see a more elaborate image explaining the above steps, click here.
    To see a more detailed video tutorial showing the above steps, click here (2 MB, 23s, .mp4).​

4. throttle thread starter macrumors newbie

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07

And no, it was bought from laptop battery one

5. simsaladimbamba

That is probably the reason for it not working properly. Get an Apple battery in order to assure a proper working battery and getting a warranty with it. While the battery you bought is cheaper, it probably also comes with less "perfect" or matching components, thus it frells up. The Apple battery is more expensive due to the use of higher specced components and a little profit Apple wants to make.
    The cheap battery probably costs around 10 to 20 USD to make, the Apple battery probably costs around 50 or 60 USD to make.

6. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

There may be a lot of reasons to why it's not charging. For instance, your adapter is broken. If it says replace now then it's very likely the battery issue. Contact the seller if there's warranty. If not then get another one.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

There you go.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Replacement

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.