Laptops can be detained at borders

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aranince, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Aranince macrumors 65816

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/content/article/2008/08/01/laptops.html

This is crazy dumb. I think I'm going to paste the 4th amendment to my notebook.

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Does this not, in theory, allow for easy internal theft of items being "held"...

Hell, it opens it up for someone to take your iPod, say it's for security reasons, not do the paperwork and bam, they've got a very nice present for themselves...

4. blacksheepblues macrumors newbie

Ha - I clicked on this because I thought you meant Borders bookshop...
    :p

5. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

yep the faculty and staff at my uni have been warned about this when we go to conferences in the US.
    also that our laptop not have any student infomation on it. since it can be
    seized.

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You at least get a receipt for your item when it's taken, so it would discourage this type of behavior.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

So this information they are searching for is being considered contraband like any physical type of contraband.

Pulling a laptop and sifting it for contraband is in their eyes the same as pulling a cargo container and sifting it for contraband, or pulling a car or truck out of line at the border and doing a detailed search of it.

Sorry, you just looked shifty. :rolleyes:

---

If they had greater control of the property and any personal information on it, maybe. Though it seems too much like fishing, which is always a bad time for the wrong side in court.

But being able to sift through personal financial information, medical records, and personal records relating to ID without any controls is frightening.

Any leaks of that information can really be dangerous, and this stuff does leak quite often.

About the only protection seems to be a criminal defense lawyers computer ... which can get really sticky if it is seized.

8. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

To interject a little humor,

"They can have my Lap Top when they pry it from my cold, dead fingertips."
    :D

9. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I'm saying nothing. I'm off to American in November and don't want to lose my laptop to some big scary rubber glove wearing customs official.