Laptops CPU SSD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oscillatewildly, Nov 7, 2008.

1. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Hello,

Looking for your thoughts on -

1 CPU - When more than 1.6GHz is required. I have read on MR that CPU frequency is reduced to deal with heat. If I don't need it or get to use it, why pay for 'more'.

2 When 256GB SSDs will cost the same as 128GB SSDs cost now.

3 When 2GB of RAM won't be enough for the OS.

Thank you,
    OW

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

These are all just thoughts, of course...

1) I have no idea, so I defer.

2) Probably 18 months (the obvious answer) but perhaps slightly sooner.

3) If you mean that even just basic functioning in a given OS would be impaired (e.g. if I said, I wouldn't run Tiger with less than 1GB of memory on any computer), probably circa 2011-2012, with the successors to Snow Leopard and Windows 7 (both of which seem to be just fine on 2GB of memory), and for the major Gnome or KDE Linux distributions, probably 2015-2018.

3. oscillatewildly thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks mkrishnan.

Trying to get a feel for when the 128GB SSDs will be about 40% of the current cost, it's a fair part of the Air price. Hopefully the 12 months.

Given it has been about 8 months since I noticed my Bondi iMac becoming a limit, though I still have 1.7GB of the 4GB HD space free :), 2GB of RAM should get me to 2015.

Cheers,
    OW

4. 11800506 macrumors 65816

As for the CPU speed, you do get to use it when it is needed, it;s just that when extra CPU speed isn't needed the CPU is throttled back to save battery power and to help the computer run cooler. You don't always need 1.6 Ghz to do basic functions such as word processing or internet usage.

5. oscillatewildly thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks 11800506.

I'll go for the low end CPU of the range I choose. Games are played on consoles and any photo/video editing will be basic. Other than that it is Internet and streaming stock prices.

Cheers,
    OW