Laptops: Mac or PC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fitzz, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Fitzz macrumors newbie

I've been browsing your forums in hopes of finding an answer to my question:

Should I buy a Mac or PC?

First of all, I am looking for a laptop for when I go to college next year. So take that into consideration when replying.

Yes, I know some of the things I want to do are better for desktops (for both mac and pc).

I also know that I may be a little ignorant on some of my topics (lack of research eg. Is MVP 2005 available on mac, is a USB mouse supported, will my external HD be supported (usb) )

- I am into gaming. I have slowly started to move away from FPS considering I won't have too much time in college as I will be mainly focused on baseball and school word. But, I still plan on downloading/buying a few sports games, racing games, and maybe even a few FPS's. I know mac's can duel boot, but I'd hate to do that to such a beautiful computer. I love the feel of my Razer mouse, and I would be afraid to part with it. I also like to use my Logitech controler as I am into the sports and racing games. Some of the games I am playing right now: MVP Baseball 2005 (I am in love, but I don't think it's available for mac), BF 2142, GRID, Madden 08.

- I am into graphic design, video creation/editing, music creation/editing. I've heard great things for all of these on the mac, but I am afraid that i'll have a little more trouble finding some of the third party programs. (Fraps, virtual dub) I use these for recording in-game. I may even be considering a career in this area.

- (Sorry if I shouldn't be posting this, but it's the truth.) I download a ton of music and I like to "Test Drive" software before I buy it (I'm not lying, if I like it, I buy it). What are some of my options for torrents and music on the mac? (In Canada I believe it is still legal for most of these activities. Minus the software part)

- I really need this laptop for school, it'll be very useful in school as well as in my free time. I've been on a campus tour and the school has both macs and pc's throught out the school.

- I am afraid of using Windows Vista when I buy my lap top. Frightened. I need some one with some background on this OS to help me out.

I will be attending college on a baseball scholarship so I know I may not have time for some of these activities, but I'm willing to give them up.

REMEMBER: I am talking about a laptop.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Fight it out between an ASUS or a Gateway FX 17" monster.

3. gothamm macrumors 6502a

4. toxic macrumors 68000

first, look into CrossOver. It's a program that lets you run Windows apps on OSX, so you might be able to play games using that. For your graphics/video editing, I'd imagine there's something you can use, since Mac is pretty standard for creative professionals.

for torrents: Transmission is probably best, there's also Azureus and some other ones. For music playback though, you're pretty much stuck with iTunes.

OR you can just go with Windows since you know what you're doing. If you don't want Vista, there are still many business-line computers with the option of XP Pro. Of course, most won't offer really great graphics cards, but it's something you can look at.