Laptops

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Andyee85, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Andyee85 macrumors member

Ok, so my sister is turning the big 21! I'd rather not be cliche and buy her alcohol, she's been there done that. This semester she will be going back to school, and I want to get her a laptop. Not made of money, I have to get her a PC.

Where should I look for the good deals? Links would be helpful, makes the process faster, since her birthday is tomorrow, even if I have to give her a printout of what she's getting at least its something.

THanks in advance!:)

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just a shot in the dark but if money is an issue have you considered a Netbook? Back when I had one they were great for essays, browsing and such.

3. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

I second that idea. Get a Dell Mini 9 with Linux, that way no virus problems, and no Microsoft ;)

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

How much is your limit if you don't mind me asking.

5. Andyee85 thread starter macrumors member

probablly around 4-500

what netbook do you recommend?

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

20% off any Outlet Inspiron™ 1525, Studio™ 1535 or Studio 1537 laptop. Enter @ checkout: RGTS4H$J7?4JTG – exp. 1/19

thats for Dell.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh I've no idea. I haven't paid attention to that market in a while, and it seems to have moved very quickly.

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    The eeepc netbooks are nice I've heard.

9. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

circuit city is liquidating, I haven't been there to check out the prices. but you you could probably get some good deals there.

10. Andyee85 thread starter macrumors member

Best Buy had a good deal on a compaq, we picked it up for only 379.99 and got a bag and Microsoft Office for 100.

Thanks for the help

11. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Try HP's Mini XP netbook in a configure-to-order. The "XP" means it's Windows XP.

12. sir Mudkip macrumors member

sir Mudkip

I have a EEEpc 1000H and it is great, everything under the sun that is needed, and even has a button to overclock to 1.8 gHz on demand. My battery life with quickest settings is 3-4 hours. Great Netbook, strongly recommended!

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have, although to be quite honest, I don't think there's much difference between them.

The thing that may bother her most is the right "SHIFT" key. If the SHIFT key is really small, I say don't bother. The most important part of a computer is the keyboard. You use it more often than anything else, and IMO, the HP Mini 1000 is going to be the best due to the keyboard. The Acer Aspire One is also a good one, although it's going to be replaced by a new 10" version of the AA1 in February, so you may as well wait 1 month. ;) To sweeten the deal, it's usually the cheapest as well, and just as good as nearly everything else on the market.

The Samsung NC10 is another good option.

The MSI Wind U120 is a really good netbook model recommended by most reviewers. The fact that it's really easy to install OS X on it has nothing to do with it, either. That's just a bonus. ;)