Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2Sticky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
UK
I need to design a large banner for an exhibition, what's the best program to do this in?

I have knowledge of Illustrator but better with InDesign, are there any benefits over one an other for this sort of thing?

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
I would stick with ID if I were you. Not really a lot in it either way though really for such a project. ID probably has a slight edge though, even for a single page, simply because it's geared towards layout more.

flrazor

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2004
Saint Paul, MN
It really depends on the type of banner you are going for. Will it be a full-color printed banner, or are you getting a vinyl banner in a one or more single colors?

Illustrator works really well if you're just looking to make something simple or need specific logos or designs that are vectored, but if it's something more artistic that will require a lot of layering and management of images and photos, then InDesign would work.

Big question is will your artwork need to be cut out using a vinyl plotter (outlined vector art only) or printed on banner material using dyes or some kind of ink-like process (bitmaps would be OK at high resolution)? That's going to quickly determine which way to go.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
check with your sign manufacture. the ones i dealt with will pretty much except any format as long as it is flat and the fonts are outlines. Also most require 1"=1' at 300dpi or actual size at 150dpi. 1"=1' really helps with keeping your computer running smooth

2Sticky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
UK
Will be full colour.

Think i'll stick with indesign. Shall see how it goes.

2Sticky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
UK
Looks good ChicoWeb.

How can I set the dpi to 150 in indesign if I do it to actual size? can I just leave it set at 300?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
If you are using any photography/non-vectors I would use ID or even Quark. No heavy lifting required.

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
I'd create the graphics in AI/PS and compile the banner in ID.
Most vendors for billboards and large banners will recommend scale factors and corresponding image resolutions.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
I'd create the graphics in AI/PS and compile the banner in ID.
Most vendors for billboards and large banners will recommend scale factors and corresponding image resolutions.

Agreed. As a printer of large banners, I should point out that InDesign CS3 can be used to produce some wonderful graphics. However, when preparing full size documents with large background images, ID documents can take forever to open. I miss the responsiveness of ID CS. Though AI is more suited for vectors, of course it can also support rasterized images.

Personal recommendation: Using a PDF output workflow, the application used by a designer is dependent upon his/her comfort zone. It is better print a great poster with no hassles, than spend extra time correcting graphics improperly prepared in a program with which the designer is unfamiliar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.