Large cracking sound came from the screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arcum, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Arcum, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013

Arcum macrumors newbie

So, I'm still kind of shaken by what just happened because two of my greatest fears just collided.

So I was just sitting in the toilet browsing Reddit on my MacBook like any normal human being when out of no where this giant wasp flies in through an open window and lands on my hand. I do what anyone would do in this situation and start shaking my hand and hitting the wasp.

But then the reality hits me... this wasp is probably going to sting me.

So I freak out, shake my hand as hard as I can and move away from this hell beast as fast as the pants around my ankles will let me. Unknown to me at the time my MacBook Pro was unfortunately positioned between myself and the bathroom door. As I make my way to the door I hear a loud crack and see that my MacBook's screen has shut off and is lying at a 180 degree angle to my keyboard ( _/ normal, _ _ not normal).

I close the computer and flee the wasp. I open my screen again and hope for life, success. I see the password lock screen. I immediately come here and post this topic.

Now that the story is over let's get down to business. Should I be worried by my screen clearly farther than designed? Or was that some sort of saftey feature for the computer?

Other notes: The screen looks normal and the computer is acting normal. Based off of three tests with normal amounts of force the screen will no longer bend past what it is normally designed for and is still firmly attached to the computer.

2. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

As the screen still obviously functions, and I'm assuming there's still enough stiffness in the screen for it to stay up comfortably, it seems that you are quite lucky.

As the screen doesn't really have any major structural reason not to be able to go to a full 180˚ rotation, it seems likely that the hinge stop has a simple failsafe. Imagine a chock under a car wheel. Apply enough force, and the wheel goes over, but no harm is done.

The hinge action suggests that the screen housing and computer body won't touch until well over 180˚ rotation. I would suggest the only reason the screen is normally prevented from rotating that far is because the fan vents are located there, and they would be blocked off in that case by the screen hinge.

P.S. Funniest story I've heard in a long time. MBP + dunny + wasp = hilarious.

EDIT: Do you remember if there was another noise when you righted the screen? One would imagine that one snapping noise is a bad thing, but two is OK.

3. Arcum, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013

Arcum thread starter macrumors newbie

I honestly don't remember, I have an irrational fear of both wasps and bees and have a strong love for my computer so I'm still running on a huge amount of adrenalin and am not quite thinking straight yet.

Right now everything seems normal though, I ran a hardware diagnostic and the computer said it was fine. The screen hasn't flickered or shown any signs of trouble. The screen MIGHT move a tad bit easier than it did before but it's really hard to tell, if it is it's no big difference.

On an unrelated note, the UI on the hardware test screen is absolutely horrible. It even feels like it has mouse acceleration or something...