Large Desktop Icons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DC Hurricane, Sep 25, 2009.

1. DC Hurricane macrumors member

I don't know what combination of keys I pressed but now I have large desktop icons with options when you highlight them you can play music or go through the pages of a document, etc. What is this called and how do I get my normal icons back?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Click on Finder, then hit Apple (Command) + J, a box will appear, there will be an option regarding icon size.

3. DC Hurricane thread starter macrumors member

4. devburke Guest

Yeah, interacting with the icons is new in SL. The default icon size is 64x64, but you can make it so you don’t interact with it by making it any size smaller than that (such as 60x60). 64x64 and up is what they decided was big enough to be usable. Also, if you’d rather not shrink your icons below the default, there’s another option to turn off icon previews, which will also mean you can’t interact with them. However, you won’t see the little preview of what the document is without opening Quick Look this way.

5. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I've never messed with the size on mine (at least I don't think I have) and they are 48X48.

I'm on a MacBook, so I'm not sure if the icon size is dependent on the screen size.

6. devburke Guest

Sorry, the 64x64 is the default in SL now (since SL added the ability to interact with them). If you’re using Leopard or earlier, it’ll probably still be 48x48.

7. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I'm using SL. Should they be changed to 64X64? That does not look good at all.

And what do you mean by interact with them? I haven't seen any SL tutorials yet, but I don't get what that means.

8. devburke Guest

You get used to it. I now prefer the look of the bigger icons.

Maybe if you did an upgrade rather than clean install they stayed at 48x48. By interact with them, I mean play video and audio files and page through documents.

Screen shot 2009-09-25 at 2.02.53 PM.png

Screen shot 2009-09-25 at 2.01.26 PM.png

Those controls appear when you mouse over the icons. It only works if the icon is 64x64 or above, because for a tiny icon it wouldn’t be usable anyway.

9. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Ahh yes, I forgot about that. I don't know if I can get used to the larger icons. Maybe because of my smaller screen. And yes, I did do an upgrade, not a full install. I'm waiting for Quicken QFL to do that.

10. devburke Guest

I’m on a 13” screen too. But maybe it was easy to get used to cuz I don’t keep a lot on my desktop (and by not a lot, I mean pretty much nothing, all that’s there now is my Time Machine drive).