Large FCPX Library

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Ifti, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

Does having a large events and projects library in FCPX slow it down at all?

I use a portable ThunderBolt drive sometimes, which has limited events and projects due to the size. However, I also have a Drobo 5D (Thunderbolt connected) in my office, which I connect to and access all my events and projects that Ive ever created.

Is it best practice to free up and use an empty, or almost empty, drive for importing events and creating 1 project, before moving it to be archived off? Or is it fine to be using a large external storage solution with tons of events and projects already on??

Other then starting FCPX, where it quickly scans the events and projects on the connected drive, will this have any impact on performance while editing at all?

2. floh macrumors 6502

In my experience, not really. Starting up takes longer, sure, but when working on one project, I never saw anything happening that would indicate a slowdown.

The bigger issue for me is that the Project list will get really long and confusing. If I am working on three projects, but there are 30 in the library, I am always bothered by the cluttered list.

That's why I've grown to love Event Manager X. It costs money ($5 I think), but in my opinion is worth it. It functions very simple, basically moving your FCPX projects and events on any hard drives between the original "Final Cut Projects" and a "Final Cut Projects - Hidden" folder, making them temporarily invisible for FCPX. So you can have all the projects you want on one drive and be sure not to slow anything down or clutter up your library...

3. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

You can create folders for your projects to clean it up.

Also, I've haven't noticed any major performance hit. I've got about 40 different projects on an external and everything seems to be working okay. Occasionally all of my events will load up while i'm working, but nothing major.

4. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

I already have my projects organised into folders, would have been nice to be able to organise events the same way also!
    Thanks for the confirmation with regards to speed etc though. ;)