Large File Splitting App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by B1uenose, Feb 13, 2014.

1. B1uenose macrumors newbie

Morning all, is there a free or not expensive app that will split very large excel files into smaller, manageable files?

I have a file that is over 400mb large and although it opens [eventually], once i try to split the pages by copy and paste into new document, it just goes on forever.

I have looked for file splitters and only found them for windows. There is a file splitter for £17 on store, but i tried the trial and it didnt work, so not paying for that one.

Any info/help would be gratefully received !!!

2. sero macrumors member

If the file works fine in plain text, e.g. csv, then you could split up using command line tools pretty easily.

3. cqexbesd macrumors regular

If you just wanted to split a file then the command line tool "split" would do it well however your reference to Excel suggests what you actually want to do is turn a large spreadsheet into several smaller spreadsheets, perhaps with links between them? If that is the case you probably want to use Excel for that as you need something that understands the Excel file format.

If copy and paste is too slow have you considered duplicating the spreadsheet in the finder and just deleting different parts of the data in each copy?