Large file transfer with unibody (no target disc)...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sendmetoalbion, Aug 31, 2009.

1. sendmetoalbion macrumors newbie

I just purchased a new Macbook and was planning on transfering my very large music folder (100+gb) using the target disc feature and a firewire cable. However, I completely forgot that the new Macbooks don't have firewire ports. So, I'm wondering what my options are...

I'd like to avoid wireless and Migration Assistant because of their slow speed. I know I can use a crossover cable to create an ethernet connection, but I don't currently have one with me and I'm kind of eager to get this computer set up tonight.

I'm wondering if it's possible to use a regular ethernet cable to do the same thing? Or possibly connect both computers to my router using seperate ethernet cables? (and would that option improve the speed of transfer)? Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

If nothing else works I'd be willing to wait a day and buy either the crossover cable or a usb converter for my firewire cable to do target disk (would that even work?).

Thanks in advance...

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Just connect them both to your router and turn on File Sharing on the destination Mac and transfer it that way, I do hope you have gigabit networking, tho it will still take forever no matter what.

Good luck!

3. sendmetoalbion thread starter macrumors newbie