Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphoneZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Hi all

I'm checking my HDD to see how much space I need for my upcoming rMBP purchase. I'm currently running 10.7.5. I found to my surprise that under the directory /User/[user]/Library/Containers/com.apple.preview/Data/Downloads there are around 80 GB of files being stored!!

It seems like full size copies of many of the files I have downloaded are being kept there. Including dmg files of Xcode and various other apps that have long since been deleted from my Downloads folder.

I'm guessing that Preview is generating these copies for use in creating thumbnails and Finder previews. Is this correct? Is there some way I can avoid this behavior? Is it safe to delete the files? Seems incredibly stupid that so much of my disk space is being wasted like this ...

iphoneZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
well i tried deleting some and nothing bad happened so far. would be nice to prevent these copies from being generated - i wonder if this still happens in Mavericks?

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
That Downloads folder you mention is a shortcut to the regular Downloads folder, so you could just keep that clean - It has nothing to do with Preview.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.