Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jne381

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Grand Rapids
I have a dual 1 GHz Quicksilver PowerMac. I have never had a problem with it, and it is still a good machine for my needs. Although, I do want to install a couple 500GB drives so I can use it to store media files (Movies, Music, Photos).

I have been told, and have read a couple posts that say these older machines cannot read drives larger than 120GB or so. I did ask a "Mac Genius" about this, and he said as long as I have the latest OS I should not have a problem. I do not believe him though.

Does anyone really know if this is an actual problem, and is there a solution to this?

Thanks

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Using the internal drive bus it'll only recognise 128GB of large drives.
To install larger drives you'll need a PCI controller card.

My 733MHz Quicksilver has 2 120GB drives in at the moment. I'll get a larger once I get a PCI card.

glennp

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
Washington, DC
Big drives ( > 128GB) are supported under OS X 10.2 and later in iMac G4s, eMacs, 2002 Quicksilvers, and all later models.

The dual 1GHz Quicksilver is a 2002 Quicksilver so it should work. I don't have a 2002 or later G4 to personally attest to this but if anyone is willing to donate one, I'd be more than happy to test it out :)

These links should provide more info for everyone:

What Macs natively support large IDE drives? (over 128GB formatted)

How Big a Hard Drive Can I Put in My iMac G4, eMac, or Power Mac G4?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.