Large home folder

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by MacOSXuser, Jul 8, 2013.

1. MacOSXuser macrumors regular

It's showing me I used 66GB in my home folder, but the content inside it is only 40GB. So where is the rest of the space gone?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the storage tab is about, this may help explain: For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply: Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Download and run OmniDiskSweeper (its free) It will provide a sorted list of your files/folders and show you where all your space is going. It includes system and hidden folderes

This above all will detail where your space is going. You have to consider your ~/Library folder it may not be included in the Other calculation and that folder which is normally hidden can hold a fair amount of space.

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

What is showing you this? If it's the Finder, it's possible that the difference is in the Library folder (normally hidden in the Finder). That stores a lot of stuff, like email downloads and iPhone backups.