Large iTunes library, splitting files across drives

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by puremagic, Nov 25, 2008.

1. puremagic macrumors member

I have recently upgraded my HD in my macbook and partioned the drive to run XP and Leopard using bootcamp. This is working really well.

Now I have a bigger HD, I thought I was no longer going to have to use my ext hd as my music storage area in iTunes. I had added nearly all my cd;s in now and am running out of disk space.

I have films in there too.

What I ideal want to do is, to have the music which is sync to my iPhone on my macbook and the rest held on my external drive. I presume that when I want to add more to my itunes in my macbook, I can drag the files from the external to my HD. The same goes, if I delete any files, I can delete them as they will still be on my external.

The only reason I like my music that is synced to my phone on my macbook, is that when I am away from home I take my mac with me and it saves taking the ext HD with me.

What would be the best way round.

I am using in iTunes on the mac drive not windows.

Cheers

Pure.

2. Earley008 macrumors member

3. puremagic thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that has helped a lot.

Will start and get it all sorted tonight.

Many Thanks

:eek:

4. Earley008 macrumors member

been a while but how are you doing?

Have you got it working?

Im intrigued as i am thinking of doing something similar

5. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I am also keen to hear how it is going...
    I have over 40GB on my MBP - but now I have a new Rev B MBA I am considering splitting my library, or move it all to a Ext HDD, or leaving it all on a home based machine.