Large pdf file size from Word

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, Jan 15, 2014.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I have 3 Word documents with only text. Each is about 2-3 pages. However, the file sizes are: 2.6, 4.1 and 7.9MB. Why the file sizes are so big? Is there any way to reduce the size? I tried to use Acrobat but the sizes remain to be the same.

2. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Silly question but how big are the files in Word format? I agree that the files should not be that big when converted to PDF.

3. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

That is completely wrong, you have to have either photos or some other type of graphics in the document. I have real multiple page text only Word docs that barely crack a 100k, no photos, no graphs, nothing but words. That said check your PDF settings. Are they Press Quality or some other default, like standard? If you have hi-res photos embedded, then you will see large file sizes. As a side note those files are small by my standards. I'm in advertising/marketing and those sizes are a nothing. A typical full page ad is usually 30-40MB PDF.

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I remember having this sort of problem many years ago: the massive file size occurred because the pdf was being created with embedded fonts – entire font files were going into the pdf. Make sure that option is deselected.

5. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Even large Font files such as Swiss721 (Bitstream version of Helvetica) will not produce those file sizes. The OP needs to show us the files, until that happens, all this is speculation on our part.

6. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

What happens if you select Print > PDF > Save as PDF ?