Large storage options

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nitro1, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

I do not know what to look up to find my info so i came here.

I backup all my movies and then link the HD to my Airport Extreme and play them wirelessly on my tv through my laptop. Now my question. I want a good way to do this. SHould i buy a large WD HD or some other company or should i find something like a server. I have seen the Drobo and i like what i see. Unfortunately i am a college student and i am trying to save some money. So i want a good way to do this.

I would like any recommendations or opinions.

2. hellrider macrumors regular

Why not plug a 1TB WD My book into the Airport?

3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Nitro1

Well, your best bet would be to get an enclosure and drive and assemble yourself (sounds scary, but it isn't, maybe 8 screws)

Personally, I only buy Hitachi HDDs - I have my reasons, but any SATA II (3GB) 3.5 would do you fine. And I would recommend an metal enclosure from www.macsales.com

4. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya that is one of the plans. I have a 160 GIG for TM and 500 for my movies and the 500 is already getting full.

So i will need alot of space. THat is why i liked the Drobo but it is pricey.

5. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

What website do you recommend to find the drive itself. I have found the enclosure but i only know of like two websites and they are kind of pricey.

6. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Nitro1

www.newegg.com, though I think Macsales (OWC) offers a preinstall - they're Hitachis BTW.

"Expensive" is a relative term. What is expensive to you? I found a 7k1000 (7200 RPMx1TB) Hitachi for $75 that'll do you fine.

7. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya that will work for me thanks.

8. cz3ch macrumors newbie

Agreed, a high-capacity drive and an enclosure will work just fine.

Since you have a lot of data, I'd definitely go with at 1TB drive and an enclosure. Most of the enclosures out there are the same from a function standpoint, so this is where you get to exercise your creative tastes.

I'm considering doing the same at home for DAS (direct attached storage) backup. Really favoring the Western Digital Green HD's. They are quick, lower power consumption, quiet, and $84 shipped at Newegg right now. :)

9. BORIStheBLADE macrumors regular

BORIStheBLADE

10. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

So would this be like a server? Cause i spent some time on newegg and built a server. I am just wondering if this is cheaper than what i built.

11. BORIStheBLADE macrumors regular

BORIStheBLADE

You would attach it to a pc through USB. Its basically a Large external HD, but a lot more customizable. You can raid HD's together to mirror each other. If you don't need to build a PC this is a good option.