Large storage unessesary... Internet streaming is the way to go.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iWizzard, Aug 1, 2007.

1. iWizzard macrumors regular

One of the things that I have thought was a disadvantage with the Iphone compared to an Ipod is the relative small storage.

But last night I was playing around with pipstreamer and an PSP and realized it worked verry well to stream movies over the internet to a mobile device.

All the Iphone need to have is the ability to stream from your Itunes at you home computer and you will be able to access your entire library from anywhere. This shuld be no problem at all sin this is an built in feature in most mac pruducts.

For music even edge should be enough: streaming an Mp3 in high quality takes 320Kbps / 40KBs

A movie maybe 200-300KBs (can some one find the exact numbers for this?)

So as long you have decent connection to the internet there is the possibility to enjoy ALL your media via your Iphone.

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

This would require Apple to change the way iTunes does it's sharing. Bonjour sharing works so well because you are on the same subnet(network). To allow internet sharing Bonjour could no longer be used as you are not on the same subnet(network) any longer.

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Accessing home storage, or home devices (via Slingbox) is very cool.

Unfortunately, almost all carriers prohibit doing so, since it'd eat up too much of their network. See your AT&T contract:

" UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR UPLOADING, DOWNLOADING OR STREAMING OF VIDEO CONTENT (E.G. MOVIES, TV), MUSIC OR GAMES. "

AT&T Cell phone Contract, including special iPhone conditions

Accessing over WiFi, of course, is a different matter, and sidesteps AT&T.

4. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

Ummm... then why does the iPhone have YouTube on it. Isn't it meant to stream video onto the device. I'm sure AT&T is aware of this feature

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I know, funny isn't it?

Verizon has the same prohibition against streaming... unless you're using their TV cast.

Methinks the contract lawyers are out of sync with their own companies!

Btw, BitTorrent is now available for WM devices. Can you imagine the data usage there?!

6. iscripter macrumors member

iscripter

10MB file size limit

This should work fine for music. But video is probably best if you sync it to your iPhone through itunes. There are limits Apple has placed on the iPhone Safari browser.

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/designingcontent.html

Resource and Execution Limits

Any downloaded resource, whether it’s HTML, CSS, JavaScript, images, or non-streamed media, must be less than 10 MB. The 10-MB limit applies to the encoded size of images. There is also a limit to the decoded size of images. See “Optimize Images.”

7. davpel macrumors member

This already works. I've been using Orb to stream music from my iTunes folder without any issue -- at least over Wifi (EDGE isn't so hot for this, unfortunately).

8. keithos27 macrumors regular

i can't imagine edge working well enough even for music... it's so darn slooooo o o o w. hehe.

9. iWizzard thread starter macrumors regular

Well I was mostly talking for the near feature and the developed countries (IE has 3G* and allow streaming of media)

theoretically edge is fast enough. Must suck to live in a country were you cant even watch TV via your mobile phone :).

Orb seems nice but it really need to be done via Itunes so you can use the standard interface.

Streaming is not a big bandwidth user, P2P network is When [website name removed] was closed down for some time last year the internet data traffic in Sweden was reduced by 50%. and the no stream clause is just o be ignored, no one cares about things like that. I believe it says that you are not allowed to have "servers" by most ISP in Sweden but I have not heard of a single case of anyone in the world that bean cut off from his internet connection for running a server. pt maby

* without 3g streaming movies is out of the question.

10. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Deja vu -- I thought there for a second it was 1996 and I was listening to a Scott McNealy speech.

11. bmustaf macrumors regular

Not only would EDGE not be able to keep up in 75% of the coverage area where speeds, latency, and reliability can't even sustain VoIP level quality, but you'd burn through your battery so quickly you wouldn't have any time to enjoy any media at all (remember, as signal strength decreases power output required to maintain even a mediocre connection increases)!

Operating a GSM radio is very power-intensive (not any more than any other cellular radio, but cellular/RF communications are inherently very power intensive for anything but extremely near field comms, even Bluetooth).

Further, the battery life estimates on data usage assume data usage patterns for web surfing/email which involves bursting traffic with actual use of the radio being 5-10% of the total time of the session...whereas this is nearly 90% usage of the session...we're talking an order of magnitude more radio usage in many cases here.

12. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

wouldn't it make more sense to dedicate your 8 gigs to video then simply use something like seeqpod to stream the smaller music files you might want?

13. iWizzard thread starter macrumors regular

Battery drain is one thing that concerns me. Might be to serius and might hace to postpone constant streaming until hydrogen fuel cell comes (maby next yea

and coverage is not a problem for us living in Sweden 98% has 3g (384kbs) cover and maby 80% Turbo 3g (1,2Mbit or 3,6Mbit) the rest that do not have turbo 3g access is wasteland were few people lives or visits (except maybe for hiking in to mountains)

14. St. Germain macrumors 6502

Seeqpod.com works pretty well for streaming music, even over EDGE for me. :)

(I originally had the URL in wrong when I posted this)