Large Time machine backups frequently

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mattwolfmatt, Sep 14, 2010.

1. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

I've been using Time machine since the day it came out, about 2 years ago, I think. It's connected to a 500GB Time Capsule. Works great.

However about a month ago I noticed it backs up large files almost every time. I mean anywhere from 80MB to 1.5GB or 2GB.

I'm sure this is related to my mail.app that is always running (and has lots and lots of emails - with attachments - in it). But I would think it would only be backing up the stuff that's changed, right?

I'm not doing any large downloading, video editing, or working on files large. Any ideas?

Sometimes, however, I do view videos online (streaming). Might this be what's being backed up? The casche of those videos, or something like that?

FWIW, I've eliminated the following folders from being backed up:

/Desktop,
    /documents/Microsoft User Data
    /Microsoft User Data
    /Movies
    /Podcasts
    /TV Shows

Thanks!

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

YOu could download omnidisk sweeper and scan your Time Machine partition to see what the big files are?

Or, you could pay for Daisydisk which is a much fancier (albeit a similar function is performed) version of Omnidisk?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are you using Lightroom or Aperture? TM sometimes will backup an entire picture library when using these products.

Also see if you're generating any crash logs of size, that may be the culprit.

I agree with the other poster, use omnidisksweeper to see what large files/folders are on your drive and see if that helps discern what the cause is.

4. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

No, not lightroom or Aperture. I'll try that software today. Thanks.