Large video grid of many smaller videos?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jbgc, Jul 9, 2012.

1. jbgc macrumors member

I'm working on a video for one of my high school assemblies, and I've got a great idea, but don't know quite how to achieve it.

I want to feature every single senior student in the school for one of the scenes in the video that will last about 20 seconds. It will start with one clip of our student body president, then show 4 or so students at once on a grid, then it will slowly start zooming out to show the entire student body on a large grid, we're talking 300ish different video clips. I've got all the different videos ready to go, just can't seem to put them together.

I've seen this before in commercials and I'm sure you have too. I just don't know what video editing program could do this and how I would do it. I've tried searching for tutorials, etc but no luck.

I have FCPX as well as AfterEffects. My machine of choice is the new rMBP so RAM and power is not a problem.

I appreciate and welcome any answers.

2. WRP macrumors 6502a

You will do this in After Effects. This is a very basic and easy thing to do.

Google "video wall" for tutorials to help you. I assume none will explain how to do 300 videos but it will teach you the basics on your DVE controls and precomping to get you started and go from there.

And learn After Effects. There is no sense in having it if you had to ask this question. Even someone with even the slightest knowledge of AE should be able to do this without asking.

3. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Yes, use After Effects. It's a pretty basic composite, but be prepared for some hefty render times if you plan on layering 300 or so layers of video at once.

You might want to downconvert some of the clips that don't need to be full resolution (assuming you're working with HD footage).

4. mBox macrumors 68020

AE is my tool of choice, but I saw a simple tutorial done in Motion.
    Cant find the link though.