Larger capacity iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mdeads12, Sep 24, 2007.

1. mdeads12 macrumors newbie

I have been hearing rumors of a "touch" iPod for a year now. Someone stole my last iPod, and I have been stuck using my Nano (As I didn't want to buy a new iPod and have it immediately outdated). I was thrilled to learn that the iPod Touch was finally being released, only to be immediately dissapointed that it is at most 16GB. I would get the Classic, but love the new features like WiFi and browsing. I need at least 40GB for music, and more for movies, etc. Are there any plans to release a larger capacity iPod Touch???

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

who knows, when ever flash memory comes down in price

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

No - at least not anytime even remotely soon.

The next storage size up will be 32 GB, and from there 64 GB. ...It's going to be a very long time before we see 64 GB.

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yup, 32gb flash is available but its VERY expensive right now

5. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

The real question is do you really NEED 40 gigs of music on your pod?

This just forces you to choose what you want to listen to for the next couple of days. All your music is still on your 'puter.

40 gigs of music is like 30 days worth of consecutive playing. Remember you wont get that kinda charge out of any iPod. When you do sync (after the battery wears down) just load some new songs.

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

this is very true, but sometimes you might end up in a situation where you just need that one song that is stuck at home on your computer...well it happens to me but that might not be a common problem for other people...

7. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

I say the same thing to my friends. They can't believe I'm spending 400 on a 16gig ipod. I see me using 10 gigs. . .MAX, from audio books, music, and podcasts.

different strokes for different folks

8. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

I can agree with that.

9. DsurioN macrumors regular

DsurioN

Yes and if you're away from your computer for longer periods of time and you're just using the apple charger to charge your ipod... Sometimes you need a big selection :D

That's why I'm waiting for the next iteration of the iPT (oh the painful wait :mad:) with more storage. I told myself it didn't make sense, seeing as I just went over the capacity of my 4g 20 gig ipod, to now buy a smaller model. I love the new features and everything, but that $300 price tag (more like $329 Canadian, which is retarded, because the exchange rate is so close now) has to be worth it.

10. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

This has been asked so many times! I assume most a you have a iPOD before the iPT came out. So just use your iPOD for your large library.

I still got a 80gig 5.5 that I use on long trips. When I have no wifi out comes the iPOD while the iPT charges.:)

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I did see somthin about 64GB flash being available eithe rnow or later this year, but I'm sure that will take another year or to to come down enough in price to end up in an iPod.

12. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

64gig flash drive alone is $2500.00! Don't think the price will drop that fast soon.

13. Evangelion macrumors 68040

Not really. If you condenced it a bit, you would get a lot better listening-experience, since you would only have your cream of the crop-songs with you, instead of every crappy song you own.

I used to carry every song in my library with me. And I had to keep hitting "next" when I shufled through them. Taking only top 25% or so with me made shuffling A LOT nicer.

No, the touch will be stuck at 8GB and 16GB for all eternity.

14. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Not within a year... but the storage should double at the same price roughly every year.

so, 32GB by this time next year and at least 64GB by that time the year after.

I remember paying paying $200 a pop for 64MB memory sticks, and it wasn't that long ago.

15. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

Thats what I mean a year or more.

16. nlivo macrumors 6502a

then go to the iTunes store and listen to the 30 second preview of it. thats all you need. no one wants to listen to a whole 2:30 minute song. thats just tiring.

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

haha, I like that, really good idea!

18. mdeads12 thread starter macrumors newbie

What about a hard drive based iPod Touch, rather than flash based???

19. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

1.8" Hard Drives are too slow. I tried a few iPod Classics at my local Apple Store, and they were seriously lagging with Cover Flow.

Flash is the future. Of course, people have been saying that for 20 years.

20. aethelbert macrumors 601

Way too slow. The classics lag with their interface on those drives... the touch has a more advanced interface/OS and would be painfully slow.