Larger files for ATV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Jrice, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Jrice macrumors newbie

I have had great success backing up my DVD's for ATV with MTR and HB using the Apple TV settings.

I recently did 2 movies, Animal House and It's Mad Mad World. Both are long movies and result in files over 3000 kbps. These files work fine in iTunes and show on my list to be streamed to ATV but are "greyed" out and don't show on the ATV menu. I have read discussions here about the file size and know that's the issue.

What other settings are recommended in HB to still get decent quality but create a file small enough to play on ATV?

2. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Why not try the target size option and enter your upper limit? Are you using the Universal or AppleTV preset?

3. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Did you encode these at 3,000 kbps? If so, why? That's too high. Use the latest version of HB and use constant quality, set to 61% or so.

What is the file size of your encode? Is it over 4 gigs? Are you trying to sync or stream?

It could also be a weird resolution or frame rate issue.

Need more info.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

When you do the Apple TV preset, change the frame rate from source to 23.xxx fps and see if the resolves it. I have several files larger than 4 gb that sync and play just fine on the ATV.