Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jrice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
This is a follow-up on a prior post. I have 2 movies that I have backed up to iTunes by way of MTR and Handbrake. On HB I've used the ATV standard settings. Animal House and Mad, Mad Mad World ended up in iTunes at over 3,000 kbps.

I would like to stream these files to ATV thru my wireless network, but on the ATV list in iTunes these 2 movies are "grey" and are not available to stream.

I went back and re-encoded them in HB lowering the the average kbps and I now have both movies in iTunes at under 3,000 kbps. They are still not available to stream.

Over 100 over movies encoded in HB w/ the ATV setting work great. Any thoughts or comments?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Sure, it has nothing to do with the bitrate or file size. Check the movies frame rate in Quicktime and make sure its under 29.976 fps. There seems to be some dvd's that are not signaling their fps correctly and using variable framerate is producing an encode that creates an fps > 29.976 (the atv's limit as well as the limit for the dvd spec).

Jrice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
Larger files on ATV

When I check framerate, do I view the .mv4 file or the pre-HB encoded file?

Where do I go in QT to file the info?

Thanks in advance

Jrice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
Larger file on ATV

Folks,

I'm not really a dunce, but I've looked at the .mv4 file and there's no notation re frame rate. Just Total Bit Rate under More info.

More comments?

Rich1963

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
Not under extra info. Open the file in Quicktime and activate movie inspector. It will tell what frame rate the movie has been tagged with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.