Larger HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jswoosh, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Jswoosh macrumors member

Ok So I have a late 2007 MBP It holds 120 GB and right now I have about 8 GB left this is a concern for me because I need the memory for CS4 Design Premium and working with larger files. I have decided to wait and buy the next iMac's when they come out and use the laptop for notes in class ect. I was hoping the imacs would be sometime this month but it has occurred to me it may be a few more months and I would definitely run out of space by then. I have a friend who just upgraded his MBP from 250 to 500 GB and I told him I'd buy the 250 from him for 50$. However I have a few questions first. Would the HD even fit in my computer (he has a unibody if that matters). I've thought about buying another external HD so I may do that but not sure cause I'd rather have the memory on hand at all times. So should I buy it and attempt to disassemble my computer to put the new HD in?

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Yes, the same hard drive from your friends MBP will fit. Check this guide for instructions as to how to replace the drive. It looks fairly complicated from the photos, but if you follow the guide it is much easier than it looks.

3. h00ligan macrumors 68030

You aren't talking about memory. You are talking about hard drive space. This is something that should be differentiated.. they are not the same thing.. and people are constantly confusing them.

Memory - counter space in your kitchen
    Disk space - space in your pantry.

Store the food in the pantry, take it to the counter to work on, store it back in the pantry.

This concludes memory vs hard drive

4. Jswoosh thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I may not know a lot about computers but I certainly know the difference between RAM, ROM, and Hard drive space. Anyways, I'm not trying to increase my RAM just my HDD space.

5. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

6. Jswoosh thread starter macrumors member