Larger Screen, more pixels, different resolution= nightmare for app devs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sulpfiction, Sep 11, 2011.

1. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I know it would be a nightmare for developers to have to deal with apple changing the resolution on a larger iPhone screen.

My point is that if the iPhone 5 only has a slight increase in screen size, and stays at the same resolution to benefit the developers and their apps, its just putting of the inevitable. Because I just don't think a 3.5 or 3.7" screen is going to be the ideal size forever. It's just not the right size IMO. 4" seems to be the perfect size screen for a mobile device. So with that being said, the app store is not getting smaller. And at some point developers are going to have to change things. So now seems as good a time as any. No sense in waiting until iPhone 6 or 7 when their will be triple the amount of apps to deal with. So Just get it over with now and give me a 4" retina iPhone 5.

2. kolax macrumors G3

Probably have a separate store for apps for the 4" device, like how the iPad has its own selection of apps.

There is a huge selection of apps, but developers will no doubt want to be in quick to get their app ready for a 4" device sooner rather than later.

3. mpossoff macrumors 68020

If you ever played with an Atrix it's the perfect form factor and screen size at 4 inches. It's actually the same size in form as the iPhone 4.

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Is the iPod touch "Retina" Display the same as the iPhone 4?

I am afraid the Retina could be lost, I mean as it is now.
    One way is that they could increase the Display size, and increase the pixel size (pitch) and keep the same resolution, then pull another magical word for the followers to repeat, and voila, it is the first ...whatever... screen in a revolutionary iPhone that has ...whatever....

Apple is removing something or do not including it.
    The cameras in the iPad 2 are not as good as the iPhone 4.
    I don't like the iPad 2 Display, as I love my iPhone 4 Retina Display.
    The iPhone 4 doesn't have 64 Gb.
    The camera Flash is another on/off feature.

I wonder what will be missing in the next iPhone 5, but included in other iProduct.

What happened to Resolution Independence?

5. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Devs handled the update to the Retina display OK so how is this any different?

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What makes you think they're going to change the resolution?

I expect the iPhone 5 to be 960x640.

You've invented a problem. Why? And why do you think Apple will follow your idea when you admit that it's such a big problem?

7. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I think the difference is that having Apps that look pixelated versus Apps that do not fill the whole screen will be terrible for an iPhone.
    The iPad solution with the 1x and 2x buttons might be what they do, but it is not an elegant solution for an iPhone.

They will need to center the image, any mock ups out there showing this??

8. mikelegacy, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

The difference in resolution would be so miniscule to the naked eye, that it would barely show a difference.

If the iPhone 5 stays 960x640 the new PPI would go from 329 to 288.44. You might notice occasionally, but it would still look crisp as hell. Almost no difference.

The 3G and 3GS were only 164.83 PPI so almost double that.

If the iPhone 5 were to keep the same resolution at 330 DPI, it would need to be 1104x736 or 331.71 DPI (1.15 times more pixels)