Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boberonicus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
I'm planning to purchase a new Mac mini. I'd like to purchase a monitor that can support "larger text" (non-scaled) as shown below. This option is also available for retina-based iMacs. Why do I need "Larger text"? Because I don't want to increase text size by lowering the resolution.

So, do I need a monitor with a USB-C port? A monitor with certain minimum display specs? Any other requirements?

Thanks,

Robert

Screenshot at Nov 27 22-13-04.png

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I don't think you understand how text sizes can be increased/decreased on the Mac.

The example you gave above (the red box with "larger text") is doing exactly what you say you DON'T want -- that is, text is being made larger by lowering the resolution.

For general finder operations, you can modify text size (up or down) using the menu choice:
View --> Show View Options

In apps like word processors, spreadsheets, etc., you can use the preferences menu to set minimum text sizes.

Even Safari has an option in the Preferences --> Advanced pane to set a minimum font size.
For example, I have that value set for "17".

Tell us what kind of display you're using NOW, and what resolution it's set to.

Reactions: chabig

boberonicus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
First, thanks for replying and offering to help! The basic goodness of people like you on forums like this never ceases to amaze me.

> Tell us what kind of display you're using NOW

I don't have a display (or a Mac mini, yet). Could you reframe your answer in the context of this article? It discusses the different system text sizing methods for retina and non-retina displays.

Thanks,

Robert

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Could you reframe your answer in the context of this article?

In the OP, you said you didn't want a scaled resolution. That article states:

"To change the system text size this way, we’ll be changing the screen resolution of the Mac display itself. In some cases, this may mean running on a non-native scaled resolution"

It's not clear from your post which Mini you are considering. The 2018 (Intel) Mini with the UHD 630 integrated graphics can have problems with scaled resolutions. Makes the graphics chip work harder which makes the computer run hot and possibly throttle the CPU. This is especially true if you only have 8gb RAM.

The new 2020 M1 (Apple silicon) Mini is supposed to have much better graphics, but there appear to be compatibility issues with some monitors.

boberonicus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
> That article states:
OK, but in the next sentence it states:
In some cases, this may mean running on a non-native scaled resolution, which tends to look best on Retina displays.

> It's not clear from your post which Mini you are considering.
The 2020 M1-based Mac mini.

> but there appear to be compatibility issues with some monitors.
Are there specifications, guidelines, or specific monitors you'd suggest? The user is my 88-year old mom, so gaming speed and ultra-wide aren't part of the plan. I want to avoid turning a 27" UHD display into a circa 1990s VGA display with unnavigable monster windows.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"The user is my 88-year old mom"

You should have told us this right off.
At 88 I would think "larger" text will make for much easier reading than "clearer" text.

My eyes aren't what they used to be.
In my experience, it's the size of text that matters.
It doesn't matter how "sharp" the text is (i.e, 4k or no) -- if it's simply not large enough, I can't make it out.

For a display, I'll suggest 27".
A 4k display will run with the Mac at "looks like" 1080p -- and for your mom, that will be a GOOD THING.
Even a non-4k 27" display (running at native 1080p) will be quite usable for her.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I think a 24" 1080p screen might be just fine in that case, you will get somewhere between 90 to 100 pixels per inch at native resolution and it will be inexpensive. I am over 70 and used a monitor like that on my Windows PC for a number of years. I have a 32" 1440p screen for my 2018 Mini which is 92 PPI at native resolution and I really like that. Text is almost the exact same size on both of these screens. Just my personal preference, but I think 1080p on a 27" screen is going to look pretty huge - although perhaps good for someone with vision problems.

boberonicus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
> At 88 I would think "larger" text will make for much easier reading than "clearer" text.

"Larger Text" is not an option for a non-retina Mac. Outside of per-app settings, you just get to lower the resolution to make everything bigger. So before I buy the Mac mini and the the external monitor, I'm trying to understand: What is required for an external monitors to support "Larger Text".

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
""Larger Text" is not an option for a non-retina Mac. Outside of per-app settings, you just get to lower the resolution to make everything bigger. So before I buy the Mac mini and the the external monitor, I'm trying to understand: What is required for an external monitors to support "Larger Text"."

This doesn't make any sense to me.
I have a 1080p "non-retina" display (Viewsonic).
If I want text to be larger, without changing the screen resolution, I just make it larger.
It's that easy.

Reactions: Gmaster

boberonicus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
When you select:
System Preferences / Displays / Scaled
Does it look more like "A" or "B"?

A.png
B.png

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

You're going about this completely wrong.

Don't "set your text size" in the displays pref pane.

Set your display's RESOLUTION there.

Then set "text size" in the finder and in the apps that you'll be using.

You have an "ASUS VE247H Monitor, 23.6", right?

Set it for 1080p (or 1920 x 1080).

Now, CLOSE the displays pref pane and GO TO THE FINDER.

Go to the "View" menu and choose "show view options":
view options.jpg

See where you set the text size?
And the icon size?
Try fooling with those...

One thing to know:
You CANNOT change the size of the fonts in the menu bar -- they're fixed.
That's just the way it is.

In browsers like Safari, if you want text to be bigger, use "command +".
If you want text to be smaller, use "command -".

This works in text-processing apps, as well.

Reactions: kazmac

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Preferences / Accessibility / Display / Menu bar size (Large / Default)"

Is that something recently added?
Here's what I see in that pane in Mojave:
Display.jpg

If they've added it since then, "it's about time"...

Klaus_mac

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
It doesn't work for me, I choose Large, but menubar remains the default(((. The other settings in this section work fine.

Reactions: Quackers
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.