larger than 120gb iPod?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cheekybobcat, Dec 18, 2008.

1. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I am planning on buying my dad an iPod Classic for Christmas, however, he has one of the most extensive music libraries I have ever seen. There is about 150GB of music on his computer at the moment so I wanted to get him something that would fit all of his music. I was going to buy the 160GB iPod but since they now only make a 120GB one, I was wondering if any news of a larger capacity iPod is on the way and if it's worth the wait. Thanks for any help.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nope. I don't see Apple updating the iPod classic anymore, and I don't see NAND catching up in capacity anytime soon.

3. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

Darn.
    I guess he'll have to downsize his library a little...

4. bigaudiofanatic macrumors regular

I am one of those people I have ove 10,000 songs in my library ALL in apple lossless format. And i am waiting for a bigger one to come out. You might be able to take the hard drive out and ge ta bigger one but I am just going to wait.:apple:

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You could... get a refurb 160, a new 160 from Amazon or somewhere, or just not sync the entire library...

No sense in getting rid of anything.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

How about a refurb 160 GB model? They're currently $249 in the online store.

7. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I wouldn't have him get rid of anything.
    I may get a 160 from Amazon or a refurb though. Didn't think of that...
    I've heard mixed reviews about the 160; some saying it was unstable. If the 120 is more stable, I'd rather go with the less space.

8. mpshay macrumors 6502

Only one data point, but my wife has been using her 160 gb ipod every day for more than a year and has not had any problems. I say go for a refurb one if you really want the extra space.

On the other hand, the 120s are a little thinner (little more pocket friendly) and as was previously mentioned, you don't have to sync the whole library.

9. Shownarou macrumors regular

I've had my 160 for a bit over a year now, never any problems with it. I also use it in cold storage in my pocket at work every night. I wouldn't worry a bit about that.
    Just remember, people don't usually post if they're not having problems, just if they are.