Larger than 30" monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by aibo, Jul 7, 2009.

1. aibo macrumors 6502

When do you guys think computer monitors larger than 30" will start being produced? I'm not interested in a multi-display setup, but even a jump to 32" would be rockin :)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I cannot see a benefit of a 32" over a 30" but I don't see it happening too terribly quickly with TVs being an option and all. Sure, the resolution is different but I think people are using them more often when they want more than 30".

3. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

it;s called a quad HD TV and it already exists, supports duel link DVI inputs

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=205

honestly... are you looking for size or pixel count? if you're just looking for size HDTVS with DVI ports exist and you can get them to be very color accurate. if you're looking for more than a 30" resolution, well

4. hehejames macrumors member

Dude... You've got issues :eek: if you want to use a single monitor that's larger than 30". Not sure if human eyes can handle anything larger than 30" at least for computer use.

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

6. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

Well he asked for it... :p

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Pshh. Forget Cinema 2K.

Super Hi-Vision.

It's 4320p.

8. aibo thread starter macrumors 6502

ah well, judging from the reactions it sounds like (an affordable) 32" is probably several years off. 30" is nice, but I guess I'm just used to it and more screen real estate is always better.

There are lots on this forum with with multi-30" displays so the need for a ton of display area exists -- it's just nicer to have it combined into one screen. My mac doubles as my TV for watching movies, so a 32" would be preferred.

9. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Wow, that's a bunch:eek: I wonder if there is a limit on what the human eye can see and process...?

10. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

324 megapixels.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I've always heard 576. What's your source for this tiny number?

12. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Nope. Guess again?

http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/eye-resolution.html

FYI: "predictions"/"extrapolated"=guessing
    I don't "predict" anything because I like to keep my posts accurate.

13. sammy5358 macrumors newbie

36"viewsonic

I use a 36" viewsonic. One of my children has trouble seeing so this helps since the computer is basically her life. When I first set it up I literally felt nauseous sitting in front of it surfing, and after about a week we all got used to it.
    Sometimes because my eyes are sensitive, I wear sunglasses.

However, my point is it was $999 from COSTCO and it's extremely clear.

Just my 2 cents.

Sammy

14. aibo thread starter macrumors 6502

The text may be giant and helpful to those visually impaired, but "extremely clear" isn't how i'd describe that. At 36" it's probably 1080p (1920x1080) meant for TV as opposed to a 30" computer monitor (2560x1600).

15. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

aibo is right. If you put monitors and HDTVs side by side you will clearly see the resolution difference and HDTVs are no full substitute for monitors if you really need large monitors.

We have 50" monitor at work in the conference room and there is a TV directly on the opposite side that is 46" and the difference is very clear once you see it.

But then again, the price difference is clear if you ordered the units.....I place order for both units and let's just say that we could have bought 12 of those TVs before shipping.

16. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

That would make my work much better. 32" would make my life much much better.

17. Syonidism macrumors regular

Make your life better??? seriously?

getting 32" would be catastrophic thats wayyyyy too big for a computer screen. what you need more screen estate for pron???

besides, there are still some CRT monitors that can kick the asses of some of the LEDs out there.

18. aibo thread starter macrumors 6502

How would 32" be too big? It's not like the picture gets magnified... it just adds more space to work with.

What CRT monitors do you speak of? Your statement was probably true 6 years ago for color reproduction but most professionals have switched to LCD. And since we're talking about increasing screen real-estate, please show me the CRT that can beat the 2560x1600 resolution of a 30" LCD. As far as I know, it doesn't exist.

19. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I have my thirty for about two years now. When you sit in front of it for the first time, it is absolutely impressive but this feeling gets lost very quick.

2560x1600 seems to be enough for gaming, writing letters or surfing, but for serious work, you can't have enough space.

32" with a 16:10 aspect ratio ist definitely not too big, it is almost exactly the size of the 30" Cinema Display including it's bezel and thats not too big!

34" with 3000x2000 would be a nice replacement for my Cinema. Please Apple, do me that favour. ;)

20. cube macrumors G5

TVs, except for the rare quad HDTV shown above, are pathetic compared to monitors. They are not an option.