Largest capacity SSD for MacBook Pro? Advice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PantalonesSucia, Jun 12, 2012.

1. PantalonesSucia macrumors member

PantalonesSucia

2.66GHz i7 Unibody MBP
    8 GB Ram

I want to replace my optical drive with a SSD and am trying to find the largest/reliable capacity available. I'm photo assistant and we shoot tethered to a serious camera (Phase 645, IQ180) and need to shoot to a SSD for the speed.

Can anyone recommend anything? I've seen the OptiBay SSD setups and wasn't sure if they are the only ones doing this? OWC?

I'm in NYC and was going to head by Tekserve and see what they had to say also.

Thanks all.

2. Ves macrumors member

Ves

3. macrominnie macrumors member

----------
    Wouldn't the CABLE "bandwidth" be the limiting factor on speed here ? A USB 3.0 connection to a 7K3 Hard Drive would be considerably faster than a FW 800 connection to an SSD:

http://barefeats.com/hard154.html

I my be missing something, but it seems you are using a 2010 MBP with FW800 and USB 2.0. The Phase IQ180 has USB 3.0 and FW800 outputs.

It seems, if it is within budget, that the best first move would be to get the 2012 MBP with USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt. That might speed things up (more than FW 800 to SSD), with plenty of storage, by utilizing the USB 3.0 connection to the camera.

Then you could add SSD's for further speed. There are 1 TB SSD's but the best ones costs a couple thousand rather than hundreds of dollars. You could add external (portable) storage through TB or USB 3.0 external drives.

I don't know the full task demands here. If you have a large budget andneed lots of storage with reasonable portability , you could get something like the Lacie Thunderbolt Little Big Disk. People have swapped dual SSD for the HDD's in the Lacie Thunderbolt. It's possible that the Lacie TB Little Big Disk would write files plenty fast with the HDD's alone, depending on the what's needed.