Largest Drive in a Mac Pro G5

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by benjancewicz, Feb 13, 2012.

1. benjancewicz macrumors newbie

benjancewicz

I'm looking at 2 3TB WD Caviar Green WD30EZRX SATA drives to turn my old Mac Pro G5 into a fileserver. Will it work?

2. goMac macrumors 603

You have a Power Mac G5, not a Mac Pro. You'll want to see the PowerPC forum for this question.

3. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

In the time it took you to type that snotty response you could have simply answered his question.

I believe any SATA drive will work fine. Though you might be limited to SATA 1.5gb/s operation. Not sure about that part.

4. goMac macrumors 603

I don't know the answer to his question. I pointed him somewhere that might. How is that snotty?

And you don't either. Like I said, the PowerPC forum would be able to answer this better most likely.

5. onecajun macrumors newbie

Largest Drive

Largest is 2tb
    if you try a 3 tb it will only read 2.2tb

6. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

As long as it's for storage and not for use as a boot drive, OP can partition with GUID and use all 3 TBs on each drive. PowerPC Macs require the Apple Partition Map for booting, though. The boot volume, therefore, is limited to 2.2TB.

7. benjancewicz thread starter macrumors newbie

benjancewicz

Thank you for all your responses, and for the correction. My main machine is a Mac Pro, and I forgot that there was a PowerPC forum.

So does this mean that the slave drive would read 3TB?

8. ThunderSnake, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

Yes. You can have a 2TB boot drive (APM) and a 3TB data/storage drive (GUID). Since we're not talking IDE/PATA, it's not really a "slave" drive. There is no master-slave relationship between SATA drives.

Also, with the addition of a SATA card, you can add more drives if 5TB is not sufficient for your needs.

9. benjancewicz thread starter macrumors newbie

benjancewicz