Largest Hard Drive in a G4 PowerMac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by sinecurea, Nov 29, 2007.

1. sinecurea macrumors regular

Hi Folks,
    I'm looking to put a hard drive in G4 PowerMac 867Mhz. The machine would have been bought circa 2003.
    It's running OS X Server 10.2.
    I'm looking at a 300Gb hard drive.

What would be the restrictions in this case?

Cheers!

2. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I know the earlier model G4 systems could only read to 128GB but I think you're ok. I'll let someone else chime in to verify. Otherwise you can always get a card that will allow you to connection the larger drives, PATA or SATA.

Is it the Mirrored Door model or the Quicksilver?

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

G4 PowerMacs of that vintage can only read the first 128Gb or so of the hard drive. To use a larger drive, you'll have to put a PCI ATA or SATA card in there, which is something I've had to do with a few old Macs at work to keep them going.

I would recommend a Sonnet SATA card to keep both the drive and machine vaguely useful for another few years. I've just purchased one of these:
    http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_serial_ata.html

...for a 733QS G4 that I'm setting up as a home server. Bear in mind that this card has connections for two drives but only comes with one set of SATA data and power connectors.

4. sinecurea thread starter macrumors regular

5. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

You are in luck with the mirror door G4, it doesn't have the 128 gig limit of its older siblings. However, Blue Velvet has the right way to go with the Sonnet SATA card, it is just plain faster.

6. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

You can put in drives larger than 128GB, I have a couple of 750GB seagate 7200.10's inside, over 2 TB in total and MDD has no problems handling it all.