Largest SSD Available - 2.5"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mathcolo, Oct 4, 2009.

1. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone. These days I'm hearing constantly how people are loving SSDs in their Macs. They're speedy and 100% quiet, all that.

So I was just wondering what the highest capacity SSD for a MacBook/MacBook Pro is. And how much would it cost? Also, if anyone has any personal experience, I'd love to hear it! I'm thinking of upgrading.

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

3. anthemus macrumors regular

anthemus

Largest one that I know of that's on the market now is 256GB for just over $600. I put a 128GB Super Talent SSD in my MacPro. Snow Leopard OS and the SSD makes the system scream. Boot times are around 10-15 seconds. Apps run terrific. Its read speed is around 210 MBps with a write around 180 MBps. Blazing fast. Do a little homework, there are a few out there that will give lack luster performance because of there controller. Example Jmicron controller that's in my Kingston 64GB SSD on my MacBook. It will give you speed burst but then dip in performance over a duration of transfer.

SSD's are the future, faster and more reliable then regular HD's.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Me want.

Budget says no.

Bummer. :(

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

6. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

how about 2TB? http://www.trustedreviews.com/storage/news/2009/09/23/Super-Talent-Ships-2TB-1-4GB-sec-SSD/p1

These are super fast and the 1TB is listed at only $4,999. No price given for the 2TB ssd.

But seriously I have (ok well had but it failed after a month and a half and I am still waiting for my replacement) an OCZ SSD and it is fast but OCZ sucks so I would have to recommend going for an Intel SSD. Back when Intel released their new G2 SSD's they said they would release a 320 GB version in early 2010 that would also bring a speed increase. Seriously wait for then and get that.;)

7. elec999 macrumors regular

I think at the moment the Intel SSD X25M 80GB or 160GB GEN2 are totally worth it, when it comes to adding one in a MAC.

8. mathcolo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Whoa! I had no idea the capacities were that high :p. Anyways, thanks for the info everyone! My brain is expressing interest with itself in a new MBP so I was just thinking about upgrading its storage drive. I think it also must be most amazing thing in the world for Snow Leopard to boot that fast. I hope the prices come down too. It's a bit pricey at the moment :)